Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 Turkey Season

wapsiguy

PMA Member
As most of you know the season started out a little rough with high winds and snow on the ground. The turkeys were not cooperating and I didn’t hear a gobble until 8:00 that morning and he didn’t want to play so I packed it up for the day and decided to try my luck the next morning.

I went to the same spot knowing from my scouting missions that the birds were using this area shortly after fly down. Compared to the previous day it was perfect but no gobbles again and I was shocked. I decided to make a move early and setup the blind another 200 yards to the other side of the raging stream for an evening hunt knowing I had seen birds in that area in the afternoons.

I drove around and spotted a large flock of birds 400-500 yards east and headed west towards where I was wanting to setup and there was 8 full fans in the group. I hurried and got the blind and decoys out and waited to see if they continued their path. I figured if they got side tracked I still had the blind where I wanted for that night. It didn’t take long to see some movement coming from the east. I ended up having what I think was THE subordinate tom come in to whip up on my DSD jake. He never gave me the shot I wanted and I rushed it a bit and took some feathers off on the first shot. Lucky for me he stuck around and again wouldn’t give me a great angle at his head so I took the shot again and hit him pretty hard but definitely not a direct hit. I had to put a Rage thru him at 25 yards to finish him off. 23 pounds, 9-1/4” beard and 5/8” spurs
picture.php

The video is below for all to laugh at J
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2oNm0o9IA

I took Thursday morning off and decided to go to another spot that is hit or miss with the river dividing the property and the birds normally roost on the other side that is landlocked. I got in a little late I guess as a couple of geese rattled a gobble not far from my blind on the walk in. I placed the decoys (as you will see on the trail cam I had placed near the blind) and waited for fly down. He hit the ground and walked straight to the DSD jake and gave me a perfect shot so I took it. 20 pounds, 10-7/8” beard and ¾” spurs
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Video below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5XGUWAKl3U

Friday morning I went with my nephew to his spot and had a great hunt with 20+ birds gobbling around us anywhere between 150-400 yards. We coaxed a few toms in to range and I called him off the first to arrive at the jake when I saw the rope swinging from the 2nd bird. Boom! His 2nd season tag was filled at 6:18am. I taped his too but there were some brush not too far in front of the camera so the focus is off but you will still get the point. 26 pounds, 11-3/8” beard and 1-1/8” spurs

picture.php

Video below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcZWqNFb0h4

I still have a tag for Wisconsin and my daughter has a tag for 4th season so I hope to have more action yet this season. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom