Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2016 Archery Javelina

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
I posted this in our AZ Hunting Journal, but I wanted to share it over here for those of you not following as a way to put a plug in for what is one of the most fun, low-pressure archery hunts you can do. I won't bore you with the full story since its in our journal, but if you want a laid back (no real trophy status), get-in-close, high-adrenaline archery hunt, you should come down to Arizona and chase javelina. I shot this big sow at noon on January 15, my only day to hunt. I know a couple of you have been javelina hunting in Arizona before, but the great thing about this is that its almost a guaranteed draw, its during our whitetail and mule deer rut, and archery deer tags are over-the-counter. Several otc archery deer units are open consecutively with archery javelina. If you're applying for elk tags and don't get drawn, this is a great way to get some of your money's worth of your NR license cost.

I've always wanted to hunt a Javelina! Congrats on the harvest, and thanks for the information about ease of getting a tag. If I don't get drawn for an Elk tag in Arizone soon I may have to look into this option.

Cool! How do they taste? I've heard both good and bad reports.

I shot one once and after eating the meat...I can vouch for that. ^^ It was both good and bad. :D

I am not sure why, but some of it was delicious and and some of it was inedible...well, at least to me.

Congrats AZ on the harvest!

Cool! How do they taste? I've heard both good and bad reports.

I had heard the same thing and would never hunt them until I'd tasted one since I won't kill anything I won't eat. We had grilled backstraps marinated in teriyaki and it was delicious. Most folks have chorizo or sausage made from it and its great that way, too. This one will be all mild Italian sausage.

I've always wanted to hunt a Javelina! Congrats on the harvest, and thanks for the information about ease of getting a tag. If I don't get drawn for an Elk tag in Arizone soon I may have to look into this option.

Say the word and we'll make it happen! The hunt I put in for every year covers five units and there are always leftover tags.

Woah that's cool Brian. I'm gonna a have to get butt down there and do some huntin with ya soon. Sounds like a fun hunt. Congrats buddy

Woah that's cool Brian. I'm gonna a have to get butt down there and do some huntin with ya soon. Sounds like a fun hunt. Congrats buddy

I got totally hooked on this again. I've been begging my wife for the last week (every day) to let me get a pair of 15x56 Swaros to help me glass hillsides better. I think I may have a breakthrough when I mentioned how much they will help when I take Sydney on a deer hunt in that kind of country!

If you can't make it up this way, Craig, I can show you some areas around Tucson that you and your son can go chase them. That'd almost be worth the long drive for me, though, even if its just to glass for you!

I'll get a hold of you the next time I head there. Hopefully it's during a hunting season of some sort. The trip we took in November was on a whim one week since I'd killed my buck in mid October. I had most of November off so we decided to just pack up and go see our son for a week, otherwise I would've been calling ya!

Top Bottom