Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

208 6/8 net typical taken in Alberta's Edmonton Bow Zone

NW,

I knew that was coming
smile.gif

I ll tell you what, I am do, so you never know I could just end up in Alberta.

Always a blast Mike, can't wait to see a pic!

TLH

Isn't it just amazing to see the trend in more & more world-class bucks being harvested? The Beatty buck, now this one, the 192-inch Iowa deer elsewhere in this forum ... all of these big bucks ... it just goes to show how much more serious people are becoming about hunting older age-class bucks, and the effects of QDM.

glad to see alberta back on the map!!!!
I have been to the bow zone in 93..I hung out
with a friend of mcgarvy..think thats how its spelled???
anyway I am not suprised they killed one there..the genetics are there..hunting pressure is low and winter have not been to bad..would like to go back..
saskatchewan has a bow/shotgun zone around
saskatoon..MAN THERE ARE MONSTERS THERE!!!
last time I was there I spent some time with
bentley coben of big buck fame..another guy joined us and I cant remember his name??
bent tells me he owns a 1200 acre farm in the
zone around saskatoon near the hannen brothers place..check out big buck for preston hannen and his bucks..the other guy
had been offered over 1.5 million by some
rich american hunter after he was taken out there for a friendly visit..you dont even hear about this stuff..they have a lid on it
pretty tight..
on another note I got a call from an old outfitter in saskatchewan last night..left a message..these are indians in cutknife who I hunted with in 99..we did not leave on the best of terms but I had a great year in 99 so all is forgotten..
my perdiction about the air travel and fear of flying WILL hurt the canadian outfitters
and the millions they have been raking in from the americans may have come true sooner than I thought..I bet a lot of hunters backed out after 10/11..cant blame them..
along with the new added hassle of gun registration in canada and the long delays it brings?? why would someone go?????
iowa, illinois, kansas and ohio have just as many big bucks as the great white north and to many they are only a few gas tanks away..
got to love america!!!
p.s. ricky..don't hold your breath waiting for me to call you back, doug

There is absolutely no question in my mind that the midwest produces many outstanding whitetails, but the ratio of Boone and Crockett whitetails to the annual harvest of each area would likely prove this statement is a bit off base.

"iowa, illinois, kansas and ohio have just as many big bucks as the great white north"

Alberta produces between 35 and 50 Boone and Crockett whitetails annually, out of a harvest of around 40,000 total. That's somewhere between 1 in 800 and 1 in 1200 whitetails taken makes the book. You may look at the latest copy of the Boone and Crockett book and see far fewer entries than my information would support, but very few whitetails from western Canada get entered, unless they are very high scoring, say 190 or better these days.

I don't know about Iowa, Kansas, or Ohio, but I do know Wisconsin's Boone and Crockett ratio last season was 1 in 17600. (36 Booners out of a harvest of 619,000 whitetails.

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes around here, that is not my intent in any way. I'm also not trying to convince anyone to come to Alberta to hunt -- those that choose to come here usually don't need any convincing!

Good luck this season. NW

But many of us don't enter our deer in the record books either. It is hard to say who has the most/best. I just thank God that we still have a chance to chase these monsters around!

Good point Swanny, I'm kicking myself for making record-class whitetails into 'statistics', it just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

The bottom line, as you mentioned, is that hunters from the midwest and western Canada both have the opportunity to chase world-class whitetails. What more can we ask for!

Has anyone seen a picture of this buck yet,
if so where, and can it be seen on the computer?
Thanks Steve

I feel pretty lucky to live and hunt in good old Iowa! But I feel I could be just as happy in Alberta,Saskatchewan,Manitoba,Kansas or Illinois. I know Iowa has put about 60 B&C'S in the record book a year, the last few years. But like Mike said we harvest more deer every year to get that 60. I think we are all lucky just to be hunting. Can't wait till Saturday!

The first published pictures of the Wayne Zaft buck will be in the next issue of Bowhunter magazine, as I understand it.

I have seen photos of the buck (closely guarded!) at the local archery shop and again at Brian Dobson's taxidermy shop in Edmonton. Brian mounted the buck for magazine photos and then 'unmounted' it so that the official score can be recorded after the 60 day drying period elapses.

From what I can see in the pictures, the buck is a gigantic mainframe 6x5, with 2 or possibly 3 sticker points. The G2's and G3's are in the 13-14 inch range, G4's are 12, mains are 27+ and the rack is about 22 inches inside spread. There is a question mark on the scoresheet in my opinion, surrounding a common base that the right side G2 and G3 share. From what I understand, the Pope and Young scorer that green scored the rack feels confident that they are indeed 2 typical points sharing a base.

Most of the deductions come in the form of the sticker points, the unmatched G5 on the right side, and the significant difference in the H3 measurements caused by the common base. Obviously the buck will also have a normal amount of side to side deductions.

Consider that if the common base is interpreted as such, the typical frame on this buck will likely net over 215 as a 5x5. I believe that this is unprecedented. Then, the non-typical points (which we love so much in Alberta!) will be deducted in order to reach the final score. I'm guessing that the entry score will be in the 207 range. Obviously this buck will be panel scored at the next opportunity, so we'll see what happens!

Once again, my hat is off to Wayne Zaft for connecting on such an outstanding typical whitetail from the Edmonton Bow Zone.

[This message has been edited by Northern Whitetails (edited 11-30-2001).]

Story and photo's in "North American Whitetail" magazine, and boy is it a good one.

If you don't get this magazine or can't find here is there address.

North American Whitetail
PO Box 741
Marietta, Georgia 30061
ATT: Circulation Dept

I heard today that the official score is 206 7/8. Largest bowkill of all time. Gonna be hard for Iowa to beat that one. Better get to work on it.

Which issue of the magazine? I just picked up December's issue and didn't see anything in it regarding the buck in this post

Top Bottom