Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd shotgun - any better?

If everyone wants to know where the bucks go take a look at Rich77's post. How many others do this? Second shotgun isn't over with single shot rifle season and late season doe rifle to go and everyone is worried about NR landowners getting one tag per year? Lol.

You continue to miss the point about NR's. It has NOTHING to do with tag numbers. They will have zero impact on harvest. It has EVERYTHING to do with ground being available to residents to hunt. If they are guaranteed a tag, you had better own hunting ground or be forced to hunt public ground. Its a fact. To think otherwise is to be uninformed or in denial. Period.

You continue to miss the point about NR's. It has NOTHING to do with tag numbers. They will have zero impact on harvest. It has EVERYTHING to do with ground being available for residents to hunt. If they are guaranteed a tag, you had better own hunting ground or be forced to hunt public ground. Its a fact. To think otherwise is to be uninformed or in denial. Period.
:

Ding, ding! We have a winner!!!

The way this NR argument is going. I'd rather have an unruly shotgun group in the neighborhood than one non resident with a huge checkbook.
I'll take my chances with a bunch of hooligans killing the deer and myself still having a place to hunt over a NR with a huge wallet buying all the ground up and sending me back to the couch.

Yeah yeah, I pay taxes on it,.I should be able to hunt my own property.
Should have gotten a free rules and regs book and read the thing before you payed out the wazoo for ground you can't hunt every year. It's printed in black and white, rules are rules.

I'm personally lucky enough that I don't have to deal with either situation of an Over harvest of bucks, trespassers, or non residents buying up land.
Everything is just peachy in my neighborhood. All I'm doing is setting the record straight.

Th can shoot as many deer as he can legally tag, even if he needs a government bail out to do so. I don't like non resident hunters complaining about not being able to hunt their own property. No if ands or buts.
Now everyone put this stuff on the back burner and go buy something to benefit dbltree!

The way this NR argument is going. I'd rather have an unruly shotgun group in the neighborhood than one non resident with a huge checkbook.
I'll take my chances with a bunch of hooligans killing the deer and myself still having a place to hunt over a NR with a huge wallet buying all the ground up and sending me back to the couch.

Yeah yeah, I pay taxes on it,.I should be able to hunt my own property.
Should have gotten a free rules and regs book and read the thing before you payed out the wazoo for ground you can't hunt every year. It's printed in black and white, rules are rules.

I'm personally lucky enough that I don't have to deal with either situation of an Over harvest of bucks, trespassers, or non residents buying up land.
Everything is just peachy in my neighborhood. All I'm doing is setting the record straight.

Th can shoot as many deer as he can legally tag, even if he needs a government bail out to do so. I don't like non resident hunters complaining about not being able to hunt their own property. No if ands or buts.
Now everyone put this stuff on the back burner and go buy something to benefit dbltree!

Now the real question, would you rather have the Non-Res than me? :)

You for sure. I shot a lot more deer when I was your age and a little older doing the shotgun group hunts but as have hunted longer just isn t as important even though I hunt more than ever. Have spent all gun 1 and gun 2 with my kids and haven't even fired a round myself but had a wonderful time. You go and do as you wish on your land but most importantly, KEEP IT FUN!

And as we lose habitat and the deer numbers decrease these ( today) will be the good old days.

We will never have the CRP acres like we did in the 1980"s so in turn the animals. Sad but true!

It would take some nasty falls and acres left in crop to help us out of the jam we are in now.

As far as deer numbers go, you all know as well as I do state governments need more revenue not less so we are kidding ourselves if we think a cut back is coming.

Anyway, off subject but just a reality check for all of us.

...All 4,000 acres of it...

Wow! Talk about "living the dream"!!! I'd have about 100 cameras going if I had that much ground to hunt.

You are young, so getting a few deer under your belt is a good thing. I think I arrowed 4 "basket racks" before I realized it wasn't doing it for me.

When I first started out I thought success was all about harvesting a buck. Now, successes to me are the little things like seeing deer feeding in the plot that you put hours and sweat into during the spring/summer months. If a big 4.5+ yr old happens to walk within range of my bow then that is just a bonus!

Don't worry about what others are telling you. I can assure you nearly everyone started off like you and we all evolved into what we are today. You will too...in due time. Good luck hunting.

And as we lose habitat and the deer numbers decrease these ( today) will be the good old days.

We will never have the CRP acres like we did in the 1980"s so in turn the animals. Sad but true!

It would take some nasty falls and acres left in crop to help us out of the jam we are in now.

As far as deer numbers go, you all know as well as I do state governments need more revenue not less so we are kidding ourselves if we think a cut back is coming.

Anyway, off subject but just a reality check for all of us.

This is spot on....it all starts with habitat loss and every time I see a good timber block being dozed, a draw getting dozed and tiled, or crp going back into production my stomach hurts.

Some of the habitat being destroyed is irreplaceable. It is gone for good.

So back to second shotgun and avoiding the other BS ( make it a thread damn!)

2nd gun has turned out fairly well for us.. we killed 2 140ish 10s and a decent 8 so far, have a great buck that won't leave the timber we are hunting and planning on getting him(hopefully) this weekend!-I have him figured out fairly well.

on Monday afternoon, a buddy of mine missed a giant. Could have been an excellent couple of days if he would have connected, and it would have put us at 4 bucks in 2 days(Mon/Tues). Only took 2 does so far. Been giving does and smaller bucks free passes all week.

Still slow tho. Hard to get on bucks. They are well earned for sure!

I haven't been out this season due to being on house arrest with a newborn, but am hearing it is not looking good. My brother hasn't seen a deer while out hunting (sees them on the road tho). Actually hoping a little that he only gets a shot at a buck if anything. Had a chat with my father-in-law last night, who hunts with a group of around 10 guys. Said they have seen about half the deer or less as years past. Some drives they see a few, others they see nothing. They have been able to get some down tho, mostly bucks. He said most of the group still has the "brown it's down" mentality, but several "horns it's down". I was actually a little shocked (and glad) to hear him talking like he was concerned about the deer population (hardcore cattle/crop farmer) and expecting tag numbers to be reduced.

Edit: Forgot to mention they aren't seeing any "big" does, just small deer all around. Bucks taken have been decent, but nothing he would call "big".

Edit: Also forgot to mention that he said his neighbor talked to the CO for that area, and CO claimed the deer population was down 50% from last year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom