Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

400 legend

meyeri

PMA Member
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but Winchester released the 400 legend this year. Looks like all the normal companies will produce rifles for it by next year. Looks like a good intermediate between 350 legend and 450 bushmaster.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I think this will be a very popular cartridge. I do have a new 350 legend Ruger youth model for my daughter. Perfect for her small frame and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for 150 yards and in either. It is a tack driver. One of the common 150 loads shoots excellent three shot groups. Under 1" at 100 yards and under 1.5" at 150.

I guess my question is what is the point when you can shoot a 450?
Less recoil with flatter ballistics I guess, not enough to justify trading off a 450 to upgrade imo though. Sounds like the 400 legend will share the same bolt and mags as the 6.8 spc and it will use a standard upper receiver and allow double stack magazines, so that's a plus.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

My plan is to upgrade my soon to be 12 yr old into the 400 legend and then the 350 will be the starter gun for the next in line - my 10, 9, & 6. Really liked shooting my 450 on the range. Planning to kill a deer or 2 with it in our late seasons.

I can't shoot my 450 without hearing protection and I don't want to hunt with earmuffs, and can't stand ear plugs. 350 doesn't require hearing protection, but I prefer the bigger hole the 450 makes. Would the 400 require hearing protection?

With the proper bullet and powder, my smokeless muzzleloader is a ballistic match for the 450 Bushmaster. Mess around with different loads and one is able to develop an accurate kid friendly load. Maybe a young hunter doesn't need a double stack mag and should learn to make the first shot count? Wait for a high percentage shot? One gun takes them from the beginner to the seasoned hunter. Just a thought.

With "profound hearing loss" announced after my last hearing test (a life of exposure to guns, chainsaws, tractors, dirt bikes, rock concerts), I would advocate for hearing protection on anything over a 22.

The way I run and gun with my group during shotgun season, earmuffs just aren't going to happen. If I were to set up as a sniper for the day, I'd have no problem with them though. I've got a suppressor on order for my 450, but haven't received it yet, so decided to hunt with my shotgun again this year, since I don't want to go deaf. I shot my 308 once without earmuffs, and won't ever do that again. My ears are still in good shape and it felt like ice picks got stabbed into my brain. I wear earmuffs for most other stuff, like running chinsaws, etc.

Top Bottom