Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

5+ year old Firecracker- Goofy!

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Certainly not a world beater, but def looks mature. Coke can bases as they say. Showed up 4th of July so I named him Fire Cracker.

picture.php

picture.php

Wow, had you blocked out the antlers and posted that picture and asked people to guess his age and score based on that beefy body and those studly bases...I can only imagine how high people would have guessed.

That is as a mature a deer as you could hope to see.

Cam location is trophy rock mineral. For food I have an assortment of goodies to supplement the normal corn and beans that is around. I think it would be cool to shoot this deer but not sure I want to use a tag on him. I moved from Michigan to Iowa in March so this hunting season is going to be like 3 months of Christmas! Haha

I had this same dilemma last yr. I had three mature bucks all of which were on the downside of things come in front of me, but I could not pull the trigger. Glad I didn't because I ended up with a very nice ten point 150".... you just never know what might pop up in November? I'd hold out but that's just me.

Age is more of a trophy than antler size IMO
I kind of a agree, just that the last two previous yrs I took deer just like that so I had to mix it up. That and my buddy has taken two beasts the last two yrs. We are very competitive. I know I shouldn't think that way but its just my nature. This is an awesome deer though. You don't get chances at theses guys very often.

picture.php

So I moved to Iowa in March and luckily got access to 200 acres right off the bat. I have slowly been meeting and talking to people around the area. This weekend I met a guy that has been hunting in the area and we shot the breeze about what we had been seeing. I mentioned this deer (goofy rack, lots of points, & OLD). His eyes instantly got big and he showed me this pic from 2011. He thought the deer was 5 or 6 back in 2011. He hunted him hard in 2010 and 2011, but didn't see him in 2012 or 2013. Comparing pictures I really think it may be the same deer now in 2014 as a 8 or 9 year old. The age is right. The area is right.

Wowzers if that was him! I guess I could see it. Also in the 2011 pics looks like a scar from a miss by someone? That would probably do some antler damage.

Top Bottom