Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

6th Season Gobbler

Husker

PMA Member
I was able to get out this morning for what would be my 3rd and final hunt of the year. I was able to best my best bird to date on opening day of Wisconsin's 4th season, took my son out with me last weekend on some of the windiest days I've ever been in the woods and then this morning. I burned 2 hours of vacation starting at 4am, came home got the camo on and heading to the woods. I expected more gobbling on the roost than what I heard but what came after flydown more than made up for it. I set up within 50 yards of where I harvested my 4th season bird and waited for the birds to let me know when to start calling. It was a drizzly dark morning and no gobbles to be heard until well after legal shooting time came and went. The 1st bird I got to respond was already on the ground and within 200 yards, I don't think he gobbled once on the roost, and closing. I gave him a couple purrs and he nearly turned himself inside out double gobbling back. He closed to 50-60 yards east of me and proceded to strut and gobble his fool head of for almost 45 minutes. I couldn't take it anymore and when I heard him change direction I jumped up and tried to close the distance by 10-15 yards as it was so thick I couldn't even see him this whole time, but once I made it halfway there the undergrowth thinned and I could see him high-tailing it down the ridge. So after cussing myself and my brilliant ideas I set back up not too far from where he bailed.... short story long.... I moved about an hour later 2/3rds of the way back to the truck as there was a bird hammering on the other side of the farm I wanted to work, decided to take a break and listen for a few minutes. Not 5 minutes in a bird gobbled back where I had left from 30 min prior... again cue the cussing... 3-4 gobbles later I was taking the shortcut back, down a steep bluff and back up the opposite ridge, I was within 100 yards of my prior spot and picked a burr oak to set up next to. Gave a couple soft yelps with a purr finisher and got cut off mid-purr. He was just over the hill from me and closing. I shut my big mouth, got the gun up and he gobbled twice more on the way in, got to 25 yards and hit full strut, he had 2 buddies follwing about 10 yards back but never got a good look at them as when he came out of strut to continue towards me I sent a swarm of #5 hevi-shot downrange. 21.5 lbs, 9.5" beard and one spur 7/8, the other broke off again like my 1st bird...... For those of you who read along thanks, was the culmination of one of my best seasons and biggest passions, for the rest of ya here's the pics.....

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Top Bottom