Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Double on some fourth season gobblers!

killer buck

Went out two times earlier this year, in hopes of getting a bird for my buddy with his bow, had our chances but just couldn't get it done. I decided to change it up and get the old shotgun out and hit the woods. I needed a turkey in the freezer and a gun was going to put it in there this year.
Well we got to my farm around 4:50 AM last Tuesday, I knew the birds would be roosting in the ridge on this field, but did not know exactly where at on the ridge. We got all the dekes set up and low and behold they were roosting 50 yards above. Luckily we got set up perfectly, did a little calling and those birds pitched right down in front of us. They two gobblers strutted right too our hen dekes. They put a nice show on for us. These two toms were being very vocal, responded everytime we called. They were a lot more vocal late season compared to early season. Im guessing all the hens were sittin on eggs, so these two boys hadnt seen any action and were ready to go at. It was tough because the two would not leave each others side, so if one shot they would kill both of them. Finally they separted, counted to three and before we new it they were on the ground. We doulbled up before the sun even rose. We shot those two toms around 5:57 AM, it was a quick hunt, thank goodness though because it was a hot one. I was sweating buckets by the time we got all setup. Now I got turkey in the freezere that will smoked soon:drink2:

my turkey had a 10 3/4 inch beard, spurs 1 1/8 inch

His turkey 10 1/2 inch beard, spurs 1 1/4 inch

These birds were really run down, it was like a buck after the rut. These two toms were really skinny.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We put our turkeys and his turkey he has was getting really upset, wasnt brave enough to fight the two dead ones:grin:

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
That's some cool stuff right there. I need a pet turkey too! Smoked turkey sounds awesome! Congrats!

Nice job guys! I sure wish them Royal Palm turkeys were another species on the wild turkey list. They are a cool looking bird!

Top Bottom