Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Hunting-Related Pursuit

NebraskaWhitetail

A few years ago, I set out on the seemingly impossible task to put together a set of Nebraska resident hunt/fish combination permits from their inception in 1901 to the present day. Working on this over the past five years has been a blast, and I've met a number of great folks in the process of tracking these things down.

33001912-med.jpg

Right now, I am 19 permits away from completing the goal (although the bulk of the 19 are from the early days and are as rare as hens teeth). But I also need a few from the mid to late 1980s and the late 1990s. So I thought I'd post and see if any of the current of former Nebraska residents who frequent this site might one or more of these:

1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1916 1919, 1984, 1988, 1997, 1998

I've also been working on a sets of Nebraska hunting-only permits, Nebraska fishing-only permits, Nebraska non-resident permits, and Nebraska deer permits. If you have Nebraska permits of any date or type and are interested in selling, send me a PM with the specifics.

Neet idea. I have a couple of my Great Grandfather's hunting and trapping permits from 1912 and 1913. (Wisconsin)

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple of my Great Grandfather's hunting and trapping permits from 1912 and 1913. (Wisconsin)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, those are early ones and as such are probably pretty valuable. It's great that you've still got them in the family!

[ QUOTE ]
How about a 1958 deer archery permit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have one of those
shocked.gif
So far the only Nebraska deer permit I've been able to find (other than the recent ones of my own) is a 1953. That was fifth deer season held in the state!

Just curious as what the early ones (1901-1905) would run?

Cant help you with any Nebraska licenses, but could I interest you in a mint condition '06 Iowa antlerless archery tag?

I'd let it go for about, oh...$12.
grin.gif

Sounds like a cool collection.

[ QUOTE ]
Cant help you with any Nebraska licenses, but could I interest you in a mint condition '06 Iowa antlerless archery tag? I'd let it go for about, oh...$12.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hang on to those modern tags. Someday they will be of interest to folks collecting this stuff. I predict that today's modern tags (most of which are being generated by computer print-outs) won't be saved by hunterst in large quantities and as such will be hard to find in the future for collectors.

Here's one that will be of interest to the deer hunters here. Deer hunting in Nebraska was suspended in 1901 when game managers estimated that there were fewer than 50 deer remaining in the state. It wasn't reopened until 1945 when a limited season with 500 tags was held at Halsey National Forest near Thedford. The next limited open season was in 1949. Limited seasons were held each subsequent year until 1961 when the entire state was open to deer hunting. And the rest is history...
grin.gif

33001953_deer_permit_front-med.jpg

That is such a great idea....I've always held onto every single hunting and fishing license I've ever bought with the hopes of putting something like that together for myself someday.

How do you get the permits that are so old from other people? Are they giving them to you or are you buying them? Just curious. How are you going to display them all when you finish the collection?

All of the permits in my collection have been purchased. Ebay has been a good source, but I've also met a few folks who have sold me permits of theirs or from members of their family. If I ever get the sets done, I'd like to get them archivally framed. The eventual goal for this collection is to eventually donate them to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission's Lincoln office so that they can be display and enjoyed by everyone.

I've saved all of my hunting/fishing licenses since I started buying them in 1985. I live in Iowa so the first dozen or so all have the habitat stamp on them, unsigned! I know, I was supposed to sign them but damn, they were/are to pretty to have my signature on them.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've saved all of my hunting/fishing licenses since I started buying them in 1985.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done the same, along with my dad's licenses. I have back until 1986, but my stamps are signed. Just thinking back, all those years and a game warden has only seen my licenses twice.

"Right now, I am 19 permits away from completing the goal
1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1916 1919, 1984, 1988, 1997, 1998"

Hey your closer than you thought! I only see 18 yrs here!
grin.gif

Matt,

I have a 1997 if you so desire.... I'm kinda like Ghost.... except I'll give you something for a cooler full of cans...
grin.gif
PM me if interested.

Top Bottom