Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A lot of talk about the Scout Guard SG550

ParaOps

I've been reading a lot of posts as of late with questions pertaining to the SG550. I'll try to answer all the questions I've read so far here.

Trigger time? 1.2 sec. With my experience so far, some are a little faster and some a little slower. No way for me to accurately quantify those observations however. Installing the camera at an angle to the target area as opposed to perpendicular to a trail, for example, will dramatically increase successful capture rates for images/videos.

Video quality? Excellent. With the resolution set on high (640x480) the videos are crisp, clear. At high resolution the camera records at 16FPS. The lower 320x240 resolution records at 20FPS.

Picture quality? Don't know. I'm sure they are great.... but I can't bring myself to switch them to still pictures because the videos are so good.

SD Card capacity? Using a 2GB SD card with the video resolution set at 640x480, the camera can store 1 hr's worth of video. The actual number of vids is dependant on their set length. For example, 240, 1 second videos will fit on a 2GB SD card.

Battery life. Outstanding. My cams have been running 24/7 for 2 months now. The original batteries (8 AA's/cam) are just now needing to be replaced. In that time I have had an average of 50 videos/cam/4 days. Roughly 750 15-20 second videos/battery group. BTW, I'm only changing the batteries because they indicate a half charge. They're not dead yet.

Size? Imagine a beer can with a lens. Tiny.

The mounting strap supplied with the camera is, in my opinion, not long enough. There are several other mounting options available, but for the most part, a smaller tree is always available if the strap turns out to be too short.

Here's a link to all the specs listed for the 550:
http://www.huntingcamonline.com/scoutguard550530specs.pdf

A friend of mine from work bought one of these so I finally got my hands on one yesterday. Have heard some complaints about the remote/programming but it's second nature for me because SSS homebrew boards are real similar. We set up the cam on pic mode in an empty room and waited for a few minutes for it to enter live mode. We no more than put our big toe through the door and it shot us. It's fast no doubt about it. Can't wait to see how this thing pans out in the field. If it's as good as I'm guessing it will be, there'll be more of these on order in the near future.

Thanks for bringing the remote up....I can't believe I ommitted that. The 500 and the 550 are programed with a remote as opposed to buttons on the cam itself. Navigating the menu and making adjustments to setting is simple and straight forward.

Arming the camera is simple as well.....turn it on and wait 10 seconds. The red LED flashes when it's preparing to arm. when the LED goes out, the camera is armed. You can plug the remote in, turn the camera on and it's in test mode. You're then able to walk around the target area and watch for the LED to turn on signifying a trigger. (The LED stays off when the camera is actually armed and recording)

I just got dealership approval. You guys can PM me with any questions.

I bought my first SG 550 in mid-July, I bought two more in early August. The only other cam I have experience with is the Moultrie 100. There is no comparing the two cameras. The battery life in the SG's is so good it almost feels like you're stealing! All three of my cams are still on their original batteries.

Top Bottom