Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Season with Lone Wolf by Kat

OneCam

A Season with Lone Wolf

I was very excited for the opportunity to review the Lone Wolf Alpha Hang On and set of three Climbing Sticks, because although I've hunted out of tree stands for 8 years and have assisted in the hanging of stands, I have never assembled, carried or hung one by myself.

Assembly

Assembly consisted of easily attaching the foam seat and backpacking straps. The climbing sticks stacked and attached to the platform neatly. I use the ez-hang hook strap to secure them to the platform for backpacking, but you can also use bungee cords. The safety harness is well made, feels very safe and is comfortable to wear.

Backyard trial

I practiced setting up the stand on the tree in my backyard. It has very low branches, so the stand was only a few feet off the ground. I used the ez-hang hook system, and as the name implies, it is very easy. You secure the strap around the tree and tighten it, then hang the stand on the hook. Then you put the second strap around the tree, which is on a versa button under the seat, and secure that as well. I stood on the platform and it seemed very sturdy.

Hanging for the first time

I took the stand out to my landowners farm to set it up between a bedding area and field. My husband went with me to make sure I didn't have any problems, as I have never hung a stand before. The climbing sticks went up easily and really dug into the tree when I put some weight on them. Then the ez-hang strap went on the tree next, again very easy. Now for the part that I was a little concerned about - backpacking the stand up the ladder and swinging it around the tree and onto the hook with one hand. Happily, I did it with no problems. After securing the second strap I climbed onto the platform. It felt very safe and quiet in the tree. I'm quickly falling in love with this stand. My husband climbed up to check my work, and said that everything was good. I got his seal of approval that I knew what I was doing and that he wouldn't have to worry about me hanging the stand in the woods alone.

Hunting

During my first hunt I moved around on the platform and drew my bow a few times. The stand was completely quiet. The platform has great traction that your boots really grip and is very roomy to move around on. The interesting tree bark design of the platform makes it very well camouflaged. I thought the color of the stand was a little unusual when I first saw it, but it matches the tree very well.

I've since moved the stand to over ten different locations so far, and it's ridiculously quick and easy to set up and take down. It's very lightweight - the stand and sticks together weigh about seventeen pounds and I can backpack it for quite a ways. The straps are big enough to fit around most trees, and you can buy extensions if you need to. The leveling system on the stand is wonderful for trees that are not straight. The climbing sticks are solid as a rock and your footing on the steps is very secure, even in the rain. The stand platform is the same as well. The set of three sticks will get you approximately sixteen feet high, and you can buy an extra stick if you want to go higher up. The steps flip so you can use them on the right or left side of the stick. One thing I love about these sticks is using them to trim shooting lanes - I can never seem to reach all the branches and twigs I need to. Now I just hang one stick on the tree I need to trim and it gets me high enough to reach them. I think these climbing sticks are one of the best hunting inventions ever.

I am very impressed with the quality and design of this system. The only small complaints I can find about the stand is that the molded bow holder in the platform is not very quiet to use and can scratch your bow, but you can buy a bow holder made for it, so that's not much of an issue. Also, it would be nice if the seat height was adjustable, but it's still fairly comfortable as it is. The Lone Wolf system has been a great learning opportunity in scouting, stand placement and even what side of the tree to be on. For example, I thought I was set up in the perfect tree, but I kept having bucks hang up about fifty yards away and stare. I got down later to do some scouting and I looked back at the stand and saw the morning sun reflecting off it. Being able to explore new areas and prepare new stand locations has made me a much better hunter than my usual routine of going to the same permanent stands year after year.

I really love the Lone Wolf slogan "Your silent partner" because this stand feels like more than just a piece of equipment. It really does feel like a dependable partner. If I had to sum up in one word what this stand means to me it would be "freedom." Freedom to move to where the hot spots are, and the freedom to do it quickly and quietly all on my own, without having to ask my husband for help and then working around his schedule. I will definitely be purchasing my own Lone Wolf Alpha Hang On stand and Climbing Sticks. I absolutely love them.

400stand_131s.jpg

Top Bottom