Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A tribute to the Stiff Neck buck...

Gladiator

PMA Member
Well, there's some bucks you have history with while seeing them very few times. It just so happens that I have trail cam pics of the Stiff Neck buck dating back to 2010. How many times have I seen him? Once. I'll never forget sitting on a doe hunt a couple years ago after I tagged out. I was sitting in a treeline and I turned around to see what might be cruising through a boggy bottom. I saw the crook in the neck (which you will see in the pictures), and I just smiled. Finally laid eyes on ol' Stiff Neck.

Back in 2010, I was hunting with my buddy Ryan and I was disappointed I didn't go up and sit in a favorite ridge-top stand opening weekend...after pulling the cards, this buck walked in front of the camera that morning:

**Click on links for videos

http://vid323.photobucket.com/albums/nn451/thede18/broken beam.mp4

He had a weird crook in his neck - hence the name "Stiff Neck buck." He had a strong left side and it was as if his vertebrae were fused and he could not lift his nose up. And that became true when he walked, head down or up - he would always have his chin down towards his chest.

He didn't show up until late season that year - but ended up showing up a lot. That became the case - really early in October, and then late in January....mostly on the same cameras.

http://vid323.photobucket.com/albums/nn451/thede18/BL4.mp4

http://vid323.photobucket.com/albums/nn451/thede18/BL5.mp4

http://vid323.photobucket.com/albums/nn451/thede18/BL7_1.mp4

In 2011, no sighting of him appeared until he did what became to be habit - traveled the CRP to bed/feed...very frequently around Christmas and later:

IM000027.jpg

IM000019.jpg

He showed back up in 2012 and was immediately recognizable by his left funky downward antler....pretty crazy. And of course by his stiff neck...

Stiff%20Neck-3.jpg

stiff%20neck.jpg

stiff%20neck2.jpg

Stiff%20Neck-9.jpg

Stiff%20Neck-7.jpg

Stiff%20Neck-6.jpg

Stiff%20Neck-5.jpg

Stiff%20Neck-4.jpg

You don't even need a clear photo of him to tell it's him....

In 2012, I didn't see him at all - no cameras or anything that I can find.

In 2013, I caught glimpse of him from the treestand....I have to say I just smiled. It was as if he winked at me and said, "I'm still here young fella." Again, I just couldn't stop smiling. At that point, I wasn't sure if I would ever shoot this deer. He was funky, sly, old, had a messed up rack, etc....I wasn't sure how old he was, but guessed him at 3.5-4.5 in 2010.

In 2014, I smiled once again in the late season, as the only photo we got of him was after he had shed. But again, no question about this deer and who he was.....

PICT0482.jpg

Alas... I figured old Stiff Neck would die of old age or of just being worn down from injury all those years. Not sure how many does he bred or what he did throughout the year - as only one year did he spend considerable time on the farm.

I'm not sure if that's the end of old stiff neck or not.........as when we pulled our last set of cards, a deer showed up that had an altogether eerie look to him with a messed up rack.

PICT0141.jpg

PICT0142.jpg

I kept staring at this photo...andI'm very positive it's him. Admittedly, he is a little more youthful looking than in year's past, but that being said, we've had old deer with gray faces, and some that didn't have gray faces. It is the time of the year when they bulk up some more.

I believe him to be at least 8.5, but would guess him at 9.5. Regardless - I will need another photo or two to be certain - it shouldn't take much.

At this point, I'm torn as I'd love to have this deer in my basement....but I really feel he's earned the right to die however he sees fit. Maybe I'll find him late season shed hunting someday.

Until then, old friend, Lord willing, I hope I get a chance to see you again... :way:

Very cool! Neat to have a buck like that with something to distinguish him by other than his rack.

If rather see you get him as opposed to someone without the history. I lost a deer we believed to be 9.5 to a car a few years back. Not the way he deserved to go.

That is really cool! I'd probably have to let him walk. I'm with you, some deer just deserve to keep on keeping on.

Top Bottom