Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A very nice buck

CamoMan

This buck was taken by a young man (my friend's son) on Thursday night. He is in high school, but as you can see from his write-up below, he knows his stuff, and is a deer hunting addict. This is not his first nice buck, but it is his biggest. The buck was taken in Dallas county . . we do still have a few big ones here.
smirk.gif

477Wilkerson_buck.JPG

477Wilkerson2_buck.JPG

Here is his write-up on the hunt:
The story was kinda weird because earlier in the evening, about 3:10, I had spooked off a big buck coming in to my grunt when he looked across the hill and saw me. Then about 4:00, a doe appeared to the north of me, and took her time coming down the ridge towards me, grazing along. When she got about 25 yards north of me I could see a body up the ridge to the east. I was really trying to stay as still as possible as to not spook the deer up there. I knew the deer up the ridge had a bigger body but I couldn't see his head. After awhile, the doe moved off and I was watching up the ridge at this deer when I could see a couple more bodies emerging and some racks moving through the brush. Two of the bucks started to square off and one backed down while the other one looked on. I grunted a couple times and one of them started coming down towards me to investigate. I could see he was a small 8 pointer inside the ears, not too tall, maybe a 2.5 year old deer. He wasn't bad so I was kinda debating on whether I would maybe shoot him. He got to within 50 yards and stopped dead in his tracks looking ahead of him and away from me so I knew he didn't see me. Then he just turned and took back off where he came from. By then I was wondering what the heck was going on and I was getting frustrated.

About then, I glanced to my left and I see this rack moving away from me just about 70 or 80 yards away. I figure that's what spooked the 8 pointer away. I could see he was wide but I didn't try to check anymore, I just took out my can bleat call and turned it over once. He stopped on a dime and turned and started to come right in to me. When he got to about 60 yards a squirrel barked at him and he jumped and then stopped and stood there looking around. I turned the bleat over again and he took off again coming right in. I was already standing and had my bow in my hand so I'm getting ready and his head gets behind a tree and I draw. He comes out from behind still walking and stops about 15 yards, kinda quartering towards me a little. I shoot and it hits and he bolts off to the south east. He gets about 60 yards and stops...takes a few steps and beds down. I knew my shot was a little back and I remembered then he was quartering towards me so I started to get nervous because he didn't fall, he just bedded down. I thought maybe I might have gut shot him. I sat there for a little while and then he got back up and started walking again. I saw him get about 20 more yards or so and then it looked like he either bedded down again or went over a hill, I wasn't quite sure, so I got down and snuck out of there and left him. We came back 4 hours later, picked up the blood and found him where I had last saw him lay down. It was a clean pass through and it looked like it clipped a lung.

He is a 5 x 5 with a kicker off his right G-2 and a point coming off the main beam on the inside of his left main beam. He has a small point coming off his left G-2 but I don't think it is big enough to count so that makes him a 12 almost 13. The inside spread is 19.5 inches and his right G-2 is 13 inches and his left is 12.5. Both his right G-3s are 12 inches. That's all I've measured up to this point. That's the story!

awesome buck for sure, I wish something like that would walk by soon lol tell him congrats for me
smile.gif

Top Bottom