Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A World Record Cover Up

Bottom line is, like it or not, a world record holder will never be "decisioned". For the Hansen buck to be de-throned will take a rack that has no questionable points. Just ask Zaft. It's not a written rule but that's just how it is.

Actually, there is a special "figure 8" measurement to determine common base points. I dont specifically know how it is done
You said it Thomas! Not many of us do know how it's done and yet there seems to be an awful lot of armchair scorers chiming in on what's typical or non typical. Earl E. was an official scorer as is your friend, and yet they both have different views. How can we sit here and pass judgment when people that know a hell of a lot more than we do aren't in agreement?
As for the Burkett or volume system, then I take it we should get rid of the typical class? Because just going by volume will eliminate 99.9 percent of clean typicals from the book.

Posted by Earl E. November in an earlier post.....

If you can imagine cutting both tines free from the main beam along the top line of the main beam, the resulting figure would determine normal or abnormal. if the figure is a (8) then both are normal, If it is a (C or O) one point has to be considered abnormal.
The one attached to the main beam is normal.
They are only "Common base" if they are both attached to the main beam and you have the (8)

That would take a steady hand with the jig saw.:rolleyes:

Bottom line is, like it or not, a world record holder will never be "decisioned". For the Hansen buck to be de-throned will take a rack that has no questionable points. Just ask Zaft. It's not a written rule but that's just how it is.

Just got word from a friend who is directly involved in the process with this animal that B&C is most likely going to allow the animal to go through panel judge process. This is largely based on the media attention it is currently getting.... I have a call into the two guys directly involved, Fish and King, and will be producing a radio show with them to get the full story directly from the sources. I'll keep you posted.

The would be G3 looks non typ to me...
986-14921_2.jpg

My opinion is Jay Fish wants paaaaaaiiiiiiid!!!
Looks non-typ to me also. Rules are rules. If you don't like them, then don't play the game or enter the contest.
I agree the gross score is always of most interest, but net scores are required to define a true, 'perfect' typical. Else those deer would get hardly no recognition at all with all the big non-typs around.
If folks belive 'nets' should not exist, then there should be no differention between what is currently the typ and non-typ categories.
I would like to see it panel scored though.

For the Hansen buck to be de-throned will take a rack that has no questionable points. Just ask Zaft. It's not a written rule but that's just how it is.
The Zaft buck doesn't have questionable points, it has non-typical points, as does this buck. The rules are in writing on how to determine if a point is typical or not. The Hansen Buck can be de-throned by a buck with non-typical points as long as it has the mass, tine length or symmetry to off-set the non-typical points.

I'm understanding this different than all of you. This isn't so much the issue of whether it's a typical or not BUT the fact that this Reneau guy won't let the panel measure it (how article portrays situation) and seems like he has some serious interest to make sure he doesn't get the opportunity to find out yes or no to NT or Typical from a B&C panel.

Last edited:
Weird deal with it not being panel scored.

I'd be shocked if the panel called it a typical 6x6.

SaskGuy said:
Weird deal with it not being panel scored.

I'd be shocked if the panel called it a typical 6x6.

Hey guys been gone for while what's this about new world record cover up

This buck may or may not be the New World Record. But it DOES deserve to get panel scored. Regardless of what they decide, it is obviously a GIANT that does deserve some recognition. Not sure why that one man wont let it go to a panel. I think hes just scared to be corrected. I actually do believe it is a typical 6x6 and hope that it does indeed become the New World Record.

The scoring system is such a joke. Im definately a gross score kinda guy. Why take away from what the deer grew? Dumb.

all in all it doesnt matter non typical or typical the beam was broke so it will never be the world record no matter what it scores, bottom line

all in all it doesnt matter non typical or typical the beam was broke so it will never be the world record no matter what it scores, bottom line

The Hanson Buck was in nearly an identical situation.

Quote from Boone and Crocket in regards to the King Buck:

...because the break in the main beam was a clean break, the antlers could be accepted into the record book.

One heck of a buck! I don't see B.C. changing there mind after 4 or 5 years. There is a paragraph on ther website under trophy watch, that says they will address this issue when all the facts are collected.

this is why I hunt does, no political confusion involved

Now that's funny! You obviously haven't been paying attention to what has been going on in Iowa since January. Does (or lack there of) have been a major source of political activity over the last few months. Not sure if your post was sarcastic or not, I just got laugh out of it though.

As far as the king buck goes, it is a tremendous whitetail that deserves to be panel scored. I agree with many that I do not think it will be the next WR, but it certainly deserves a shot. Deer like that deserve to be recognized!

Top Bottom