Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorn Crop

Marty Edwards

PMA Member
If this has already been asked/posted, my apologies for being redundant.

I’m curious what others around the state are seeing for acorn crop?

On my farm (Ringgold County) there’s essentially no acorn production this yr, other than shingle oaks.

I did have a young Bur Oak in the yard produce a dozen acorns or so, but other than that neither the reds or whites are bearing fruit this yr.

Huge crop here in NE Iowa. Been very dry but the acorn crop is the best I have seen.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

North central iowa- my acorns have been dropping for 2 weeks and there are TONS. I’d be hunting oak flats if I could opening day

White oaks in the farm yard were loaded with acorns and have mostly dropped already.

Fruit set in the orchard was heavy, with both peach and apple limbs breaking due to amount of fruit set. Wind storm snapped off a loaded pear tree. :(
I wouldn't have thought the trees would have set so much mast with the drought. Hopefully it wasn't their last hurrah before succumbing to the lack of rain.

Bur Oaks are full on our farm, White and Pin not so much. Last year the White Oaks were as full as I've seen.

Burr oaks: very small crop. White oaks on me: none that I have seen. One I have not looked at…. My reds. I’ll check those out and chime back.
Blacks & shingles- loaded like every year.

I've seen loads of them in our areas, and we're in an severe drought. During drought years Oaks will ramp up acorn production to ensure the line carries on.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I’ve been scouting the heck out of public, and the crop has been really spotty, which has concentrated the deer, but also likely the hunters real quick. I’ll be in an oak ridge the first couple of days.

IMG_4776.jpeg

I think from what I’m seeing/hearing, the areas of the state that are the droughtiest, mast production is high to very high. The areas that are experiencing closer to normal moisture, production is normal or below average. According to this drought map, I’m blessed to be in one of the “wettest” areas of the state.

Although it stinks to not have any mast…we also have no EHD losses that I’ve heard of…I’m sure this drought map also correlates closely to areas where guys are experiencing losses due to EHD.

I go every fall and collect acorns across the campus at Kansas State University. We have been in a terrible drought, but so far it seems red oaks are loaded while most of the whites are bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 126001

I think from what I’m seeing/hearing, the areas of the state that are the droughtiest, mast production is high to very high. The areas that are experiencing closer to normal moisture, production is normal or below average. According to this drought map, I’m blessed to be in one of the “wettest” areas of the state.

Although it stinks to not have any mast…we also have no EHD losses that I’ve heard of…I’m sure this drought map also correlates closely to areas where guys are experiencing losses due to EHD.
I'm smack dab in the middle of that d4 circle and the oaks here have lots of acorns.

Top Bottom