Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

After yesterday, I am bummed. Deer #'s

Hey kid...I hunt the same areas..deer numbers are down, and I have confirmed 2 shed bucks..with one getting killed...Please..for the love of God..don't do that retarded rifle season. By all means, if you are going to need meat...kill it with a muzzleloader..or at least within 50 yards..making sure..damn sure it's not a shed buck. Last year some dumbass shot a "giant doe", which was probably one of my big boys on camera last year.

Responses like the one above make me want to buy a rifle tag and knock down the biggest shed antler buck I can get my scope on. Why? Because its perfectly legal and we live in a free country. Bro if you wernt able to close the deal on your said "Big Boy" during the first three months of deer season and now your pissed that someone got it done during the late season the deer was never even close to yours. Just sayin..............Ahh let the late rifle cryfest begin.....

I have two people from work that are interested in starting hunting for "cheap meat". Yeah right.........

I'm going to sit them down and do a little math with them. Equipment, licenses, time, processing fees, gas, lease, etc., you are better off buying from the local meat counter.

Yeah, you can cut back on many of the above costs or completely avoid some, but still, per pound, you are most likely going to pay a fair price. Especially since I think they are probably not going to be very successful while they learn.

Along those lines, the small group of people I shotgun hunt with declared that "with pork so cheap" few of them were looking to fill freezers this year. We ended up SG1 with 1 mature buck, 1 goofy racked cull & 1 doe. Wasn't but a couple years ago when we had a rail with 12 does and 4 mature bucks. Same 6 guys. Montgomery County. Saw less than we have previous years but could have killed a lot more than we did. Not hunting rifle this year.

I don’t think the late rifle season will ever really “go away”. The limiting factor will be if there are any leftover tags for the counties rifles are allowed in. That may, however, be years down the road.

If I’m painting a house I like to use a broad brush, it covers more area per stroke and gets the job done quicker. When I’m talking about deer hunters I like to use a fine brush so everybody doesn’t get covered by one stroke. So to use the term “retarded rifle season” paints all deer hunters who chose to participate in the rifle season with a rather broad brush.

I have participated in the late rifle season and to do so I purchased a rifle just for the late rifle season. My rifle has a max range of 300 yards and an effective range of 200 yards. I do agree there are shots in late rifle, as in bow, shotgun or muzzle loader that shouldn’t be taken. To lump us all in the 400 yard plus shot club is painting with a rather large brush.

I don’t think the late rifle season will ever really “go away”. The limiting factor will be if there are any leftover tags for the counties rifles are allowed in. That may, however, be years down the road.

Agree with the post, Bonker.

The late January antlerless only season went away up in NE IA because the Iowa legislature/Governor would not allow the number of county antlerless tags to be reduced. The DNR's hands were tied on the number of tags, so they did the only thing completely under their control; abolish a season. Whether this stragey will be needed for "herd management" in the future is hard to forecast.

I've commented before about private lands that manage for high deer densities. Not sure how that figures into the equation.

If the Gov has his way, there will always be tags available. It's up to the hunter to decide on whether to buy/fill a tag.

If I’m painting a house I like to use a broad brush, it covers more area per stroke and gets the job done quicker. When I’m talking about deer hunters I like to use a fine brush so everybody doesn’t get covered by one stroke. So to use the term “retarded rifle season” paints all deer hunters who chose to participate in the rifle season with a rather broad brush.

I have participated in the late rifle season and to do so I purchased a rifle just for the late rifle season. My rifle has a max range of 300 yards and an effective range of 200 yards. I do agree there are shots in late rifle, as in bow, shotgun or muzzle loader that shouldn’t be taken. To lump us all in the 400 yard plus shot club is painting with a rather large brush.

Bonker,
We may have had a disagreement on here not to long ago , but I want to commend you for the above response. It was very well written. and I support everything you said. People let emotions get involved and paint with wide brushes a little to often on here. I apoligize for posting a picture of you and questioning your intelligence. Merry Christmas Everyone........

I can see there might be concern over this rifle hunt. I think what it comes down to is individual landowners must manage their property how they see fit based on numbers, etc. Problem being neighboring landowners may have a vastly different idea of what needs to take place.

Feel my pain for a minute...In WI, 'ag' tags can be filled continuously throughout the year, as long as the landowners fill 'x' amount by 'y' date, they will keep being issued more tags.

One landowner can hunt on their ag tag next to the property line where another landowner is bowhunting. High power rifle hunting next to a guy in camo bowhunting in the rut.....it cant get any more messed up than that, and the legislatiure and farm bureau control the laws on this....I have a feeling it will never change and the bottom line is that it is just not safe...

When you dont have an unlimited amount of acrage to hunt, the 'ag' hunter will have a negative affect on your hunt and when the neighboring landowner is too stubborn to have some respect for a bow hunt, well......it's awfully frusterating...

Responses like the one above make me want to buy a rifle tag and knock down the biggest shed antler buck I can get my scope on. Why? Because its perfectly legal and we live in a free country. Bro if you wernt able to close the deal on your said "Big Boy" during the first three months of deer season and now your pissed that someone got it done during the late season the deer was never even close to yours. Just sayin..............Ahh let the late rifle cryfest begin.....

Listen Holmes, I did get my big boy this year with a bow. I have already seen shed bucks this year. With numbers down and shed bucks already being shot, and the poster I replied to having dropped two shed bucks last year, I thought it a good reminder to be sure you aren't taking down a big buck. No hard feelings..

Listen Holmes, I did get my big boy this year with a bow. I have already seen shed bucks this year. With numbers down and shed bucks already being shot, and the poster I replied to having dropped two shed bucks last year, I thought it a good reminder to be sure you aren't taking down a big buck. No hard feelings..

Probably just a troll.

I know some like this snow and weather but I hope it is not a hard winter. Our herd can not aford too many losses. Some think deer are unlimited or will bounce right back. I am not a gambler.

Mobil Cooter using IW

I have talked to deer processors in my area many times. A few times they have told me that 2/3's of the deer brought in are shed bucks. I also agree people need to look a little closer before they shoot.

Some people here are meat hunters, but i believe that most would rather shoot a buck given the oppourtunity. With all these late antlerless seasons all we are doing is hurting the buck population, even if thats not the intention.

With what was seen in the first post, called numbers ,,way down,,,man,,,I'd like to see that many deer. My Nov-80 hr. bow season actually saw a few more deer than usual. Not sure why? By most Iowa estimates though, 16 deer in 80 hrs of sitting is not that great. Last year was 10 though for the same hrs,,,so it's progress. This is SE Iowa. Supposedly overrun with deer. Local deer processor gave a bunch of antlers he had, from people who left them,, to my neighbor for a project. Man,,people in my area shoot alot of little bucks,yearlings and small 2yr olds. That was depressingto see,, and explains alot about what I see locally.

Top Bottom