Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa

petherss

Anyone have pictures of what YOUNG alfalfa looks like (no Little Rascals pics please.....)? Or what clover looks like in early growth. I planted a rye/oats/alfalfa/clover mix which is doing well- but I have a lot of something coming up and don't know what it is- never planted alfalfa before. Thanks guys!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have pictures of what YOUNG alfalfa looks like (no Little Rascals pics please.....)? Or what clover looks like in early growth. I planted a rye/oats/alfalfa/clover mix which is doing well- but I have a lot of something coming up and don't know what it is- never planted alfalfa before. Thanks guys!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have one of just alfalfa but look at the pics of new clover seedlings in the clover thread and the alfalfa will be real close when it's small.

Clover pg 6

Thanks dbltree. I have a nice little plot growing well since the floods headed our way. I may have gone a little heavy on the clover+alfalfa, but I wanted this to be my perennial plot. I'm happy to say that the deer are hammering it already! Although, it might be the rye/oats (planted a little early- oops) that are pulling them in right now. Can I mow the rye to keep it drawing deer? Or doesn't it work like clover/alfalfa?

Here is what the rye/clover/alf plot looks like. I can't tell the difference between clover and alfalfa at this stage (maybe I don't have any alfalfa??). Also, I think I may have seeded a TOUCH thick? ha.
3855foodplot8_27_07b-med.JPG

Is it a good idea to mow if you have a cover crop like rye- so that the alfalfa/clover get more sun? I've heard that the rye makes a good mulch for next spring, but thought maybe it it hurting the alfalfa's growth right now. Thanks
BC

I decided against a Spring plot this year, so I had plenty of time to spray for weeds. Then my neighbor came over with his 4 bottom plow and turned the soil. Then used his disc to break up the bigger chunks when it dried out a touch. I ran over it a couple times with my cultipacker to break up the bigger chunks (clay) and firm up the seed bed.
I then broadcast 200# of 19-19-19, then the seed. The smaller seed I just broadcast and then cultipacked and called good. The rye/oats, i broad casted then drug a chain linked fence over, then cultipacked. after that i broadcasted the clover and alflafa, cultipacked again.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a good idea to mow if you have a cover crop like rye- so that the alfalfa/clover get more sun? I've heard that the rye makes a good mulch for next spring, but thought maybe it it hurting the alfalfa's growth right now. Thanks
BC

[/ QUOTE ]

The rye or oats shouldn't get that tall this time of year to be a problem.

Thanks Dbltree. The problem is, I planted early (Aug 8) for the sake of the clover and alfalfa. Now the rye is 12"-18" tall. You have to comb thru the rye/oats to see the alfalfa and clover. Nothing is dying so far, so I guess it's ok.

Top Bottom