Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All day sit foods?

flugge

I have only 5 more days of hunting this year due to work, it happens to be First Season Shotgun (not thrilled but will make it work). I am hunting one specific buck, and plan on sitting all day for 5 full days if need be. Whats going to be the best foods to have in the stand for an all day sit, drinks, anything? Archery I have sat all day with nothing, but never been 5 days in a row. Luckily its going to be "warm" the first few days, so it may not be so bad. Just looking for some options

I'm still a neophyte, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would err towards foods (more specifically, the odors of said foods) that deer might also eat. Think apples, peanut butter sandwiches, maybe some raisins. Took just this combo on an all-day scouting trip, and saw quite a bit. I figure that if you can never completely cover the scent of your meal, it may as well smell tempting.

Water, PB&J, Granola bars, PB crackers, and snickers. I don't like to be hungry for very long.

Coffee for me is a must, then something sweet and chocolate to go with it. Riesen I like because the wrapper is quiet and takes some work to eat when it's cold. Sandos, maybe the right cracker if I'm gun hunting. Nibs are another one I like. Then a box of 45/70 325g Leverevolution for my Marlin to eat!!

I'm an apples/fruit and granola bar type of guy. Water, and maybe a pop just for something sweet to drink. I very rarely eat breakfast (other than coffee) and usually don't eat much if anything for lunch. Not that it's a smart way to eat, but being used to it, I can go a full day without much.

Arm.... arm... I’m still laughing at your reply..... good one!
Ryan you have gotten great advice but the sky is the limit on what you can bring to eat. Yes I’ve done cold steak sandwich’s, pork chops, cold pizza,chicken,tuna in the pouch and even cold lasagna. My advice is stay away from foods that are to fatty ( makes you want to sleep) and stick with more high protein snacks.
I hunt 70 miles from home and don’t come home for several day so I always have a small grocery store in my truck. I mix it up each day with different foods.
Water is very essential so drink small amounts even if you aren’t thirsty. If I don’t drink enough I start getting headaches in the afternoon and leg cramps at night so drink the water.
Hunting should be fun and foods can help make it fun. I believe that giving your body what it needs can help make good decisions in the moment of truth.
Here are some of my leftovers from this year.

This thread gives me a idea for the Let’s Eat!!! thread next year
Have fun Eat well and get your target buck!
9f6a8fb775e6a7b3fdac7d45982a1325.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard boiled eggs, any cold sandwich, bars, something warm to drink. I do a lot of all day sits and it helps to have something to look forward to.

I'm a glutton for punishment... I take a thermos of coffee and a thermos of soup. Mini candy bars on Halloween close out round out my trees stand diet.

I always bring trail mix. Put it in a little sandwich baggy so that it is quiet. Apple too if not to cold. And a bottle of water. I always drink a lot of water, if not I get headaches. Pop tarts are good too.

Oatmeal Cream Pies are a must! This year I took an insulated Stanley food jar with hot pizza rolls with me for a hot lunch on a cold day during the rut. They really hit the spot! Also take homemade banana muffins from time to time.

I eat a lot of protein bars and high protein foods (clif bars, PB sandwiches, almonds, trail mix, jerky, etc.) Protein promotes satiety so you're not hungry 15 minutes later, like you will be if you eat pop tarts or candy bars,(although candy bars make me happy in the stand). I did 7 all day sits this year and I snack often and early. I've heard apples clean your teeth and help keep your breath scent down, but I'm not sure of the science in that.
One thing I do on all day sits is bring a pee bottle. I try to drink as little as possible, but even then I'll fill 20+ ounces when intaking minimal fluids. That's a substantial amount of scent to drop in one zone and in the past I've climbed down and could easily smell it. If I can smell the difference between human urine, then a surely deer can.
Good luck!

Top Bottom