Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All things scrapes

StucknAz

Curious how everyones project scrapes did during 2023 season? I was browsing YouTube and ran by Skips mock using hedge, was that one a success? Anyone have any trial and error changes for this coming year? Is there a consensus that the pine limb with attached licking branch is a good dual purpose approach for rubs and scrapes? Any updates on preferred height, lick branch type, scents that work?

I ran multiple cedar posts with attached 2x4 and vine hanging. Definitely kicked some butt but the post wasn’t messed with for rubs but only a couple times.

I ran Smokey's wicked wicks, I’m not big on scents but ran it as a experiment. While browsing old trail cams from 23 I found me doctoring vine scrape with Smokey’s where I shot my 12 approximately 2 hours before he came in for the kill.

You guys have pics of what’s worked on your farms?

Here's another question for you're list, do hemp ropes work any better than a grape vine, or is this Hemp craze another banjo minnow

Here's another question for you're list, do hemp ropes work any better than a grape vine, or is this Hemp craze another banjo minnow
I ran hemp rope from Smokey’s with the wicked wicks scent this year, the scrape got hammered. A buddy put it up for me and I wasn’t overly happy with where he put it but it worked. I ended up ordering 50 ft of hemp rope and it’s airing out at the farm now, I’m going to run a handful of hemp and vine and see what the cam says.

I’m not a scent guy but put a couple drops of Smokey’s wicked wicks on vine scrape, 2 hours later I had an arrow in my 12pt, didn’t appear to hurt the situation and this buck was a frequent visitor leading up to the kill date. He was at least 6 years old.

Anyway, I have that same question for guys with more experience.

My hemp rope is still being "seasoned" - IE Left outside for the past 6 months. Still stinks like something unnatural, maybe it will be ready Fall '24..

I've not used any hemp ropes. This past fall I had 3 vine scrapes and put a cam on each and all had good action. No scents used. Just cut a 5-6 feet piece of vine and tied it up with the bottom of the vine at about waist height and then scrape out the ground under it. Two still have a cam on them and are checked out occasionally. One was a magnet all fall long from the day I put it up. Probably everyday multiple deer and bucks checking it out and licking/rubbing their head on it, it was awesome. I need to get a stand up in bow range of it for next fall.

I used a hedge branch hanging from the tree I cut it from this year and it got constant action and was eventually torn down. Not sure that the species of wood had anything to do with it (branch was from past season, so scent was likely not an issue). I think the placement of the scrape is the key component of promoting use. This scrape is an interior scrape in decent cover along a bottom-land pinch. Regardless, I am confident in using hedge as my branch moving forward based on the usage I saw on camera.

Top Bottom