Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Allamakee County/Clayton County

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I am wondering if anyone has harvest deer harvest data for NE Iowa counties Allamakee and Clayton. I took the total numbers off the main site.

The numbers that I would like to find, deer harvest and buck harvest per square mile.

If anyone knows the square miles in each county, I could do the math. We are doing a comparison to far SE MN....Thanks!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Hardwood, if you Google the counties you are looking for you will find that info. I did this awhile back and it's fairly easy to find. The only difference between SE MN and NE Iowa is the season dates and the weapons used. One of the farms I hunt is 8 miles S of the border and the opportunities at big deer (170 plus) are much higher in Iowa, just due to the simple fact that our seasons are structured better. SE MN has some great hunting, and as far as the terrain, you will not really be able to tell the difference. Some great deer come out of both areas, but I would never trade Iowa for Minnesota. I know multiple people that hunt both places and do well both places, but it seems that in Minnesota you have less time to get after them with a bow due to the seasons. Not much help I know :grin:

MN/Iowa

Hardwood, if you Google the counties you are looking for you will find that info. I did this awhile back and it's fairly easy to find. The only difference between SE MN and NE Iowa is the season dates and the weapons used. One of the farms I hunt is 8 miles S of the border and the opportunities at big deer (170 plus) are much higher in Iowa, just due to the simple fact that our seasons are structured better. SE MN has some great hunting, and as far as the terrain, you will not really be able to tell the difference. Some great deer come out of both areas, but I would never trade Iowa for Minnesota. I know multiple people that hunt both places and do well both places, but it seems that in Minnesota you have less time to get after them with a bow due to the seasons. Not much help I know :grin:

No that is exactly my intentions. There are several hunters in MN that think the only reason Iowa has bigger bucks is the habitat and that MN has more hunters.

I am trying to prove a fact that you will have overall better hunting if you delay the gun season. Bucks and does. It is true by statistics as well, and the habitat in Houston County, MN and Allamakee in Iowa are virtually identical.

The only statistic that I cannot find, is hunters per square mile in Allamakee or Clayton County, that would really help.

Yeah I here ya! Those #'s will be hard to find due the fact that during bow season you could be looking at a very low number, but if you were to add in the shotgun seasons you would definitely be looking at a high number. Let me know if you find this #, I would be curious to see it as well :way:

Allamakee = 658.71 sq mi, Clayton = 792.81 sq mi. I wouldn't worry about the number of hunters per square mile but rather the number of bucks and does harvested per sq mile. Both areas you are talking about SE MN and NE Iowa will have the same habitat and carrying capacity so the #'s harvested and the time (season dates) will help you determine the differences. If Minnesota would copy Iowa's season dates with the exception of the late antlerless season and the holiday season, Minnesota would pass Iowa so fast in the number of record book deer it would make our heads spin. Minnesota has tremendous habitat in 75% of the State it just lacks the right seasons/management. Missouri, Kansas and Illinois would also benefit greatly by following our lead. If you keep the guns out of the rut...good things will happen with the quality and age class of your bucks. Post your results I am interested in what you find out.

Allamakee = 658.71 sq mi, Clayton = 792.81 sq mi. I wouldn't worry about the number of hunters per square mile but rather the number of bucks and does harvested per sq mile. Both areas you are talking about SE MN and NE Iowa will have the same habitat and carrying capacity so the #'s harvested and the time (season dates) will help you determine the differences. If Minnesota would copy Iowa's season dates with the exception of the late antlerless season and the holiday season, Minnesota would pass Iowa so fast in the number of record book deer it would make our heads spin. Minnesota has tremendous habitat in 75% of the State it just lacks the right seasons/management. Missouri, Kansas and Illinois would also benefit greatly by following our lead. If you keep the guns out of the rut...good things will happen with the quality and age class of your bucks. Post your results I am interested in what you find out.

I could not agree more! I will post some numbers when I get this all added up

Top Bottom