Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ally's first turkey

wapsiguy

PMA Member
Ally's first turkey (Video added)

My oldest daughter who is 11 has been asking since last year to go turkey hunting with me. I honestly didn't take her to seriously since she never had much interest in the game I bring home. I've been tagged out here in Iowa since April so I had plenty of time on my hands to take her. I asked a week or two ago if she was still serious and she confirmed that she was so we practiced with the 4-10 first and then moved up to the 20 gauge.

I scouted the spot that I took my first bird this year and found that there was a tom strutting in a field with a few jakes and hens right after fly down each morning. I went out and set up the blind yesterday afternoon and hoped that he would continue his daily routine.

The alarm was set but not needed as I was excited to see what the morning had in store for us. I woke Ally up at 4:20 and we were set up in the blind by 5:00. We heard the first gobble at 5:30 and her smile was priceless :D. I made a few light calls at 5:50 and just sat back and waited. We had a bearded hen in right away and we could hear the tom gobble every minute. He was definitely getting closer....I felt good about our chances. :way:

When he headed in to the decoy setup I had her get the gun ready and the hammer cocked. This bird read the script!! he went directly for the jake, knocking him down and pecking at his head. I called to get him to stick his head up but he was more interested in the decoy laying on its side. He finally gave her the shot she wanted and the hammer dropped. Her first words were "Did I get him" as he lay there within 15 yards doing the death flop.

I don't know for sure who was more excited but I do know this is something that I will never forget. As a Father of 3 daughters I was unsure if any of them would be interested in the sport of hunting especially when they are more on the girly girl side. My 6 year old is now asking when she gets to go....gotta love it!!! :way:

Specs:

23.2 pounds
1-1/8" spurs
11" beard

Pretty dang good bird for her first bird and bigger than both of mine this year.........but I couldn't be happier :)

http://youtu.be/xqDYcpfMSlE

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom