Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alright, this is getting pathetic!

J

jason

Since I'm on winter break from school, I've been doing a lot of muzzle loading hunting. But the problem is, I haven't seen a deer! Im not kidding, I haven't seen one. Last week alone I hunted over 20 hours, hunting all legal hunting hours of the day trying to see a deer! I hunt two connecting properties, which equals about 30 acres of timber. I've been everywhere I can possibly hunt. I've seen little sign, a litte poop here and there, a few beds, no fresh tracks. The two timbers are great, they have thick cover, and big crop fields around them. I saw a lot of deer durring bow season, about 5 different bucks, and quite a few does. But like I said, I haven't seen a thing. The only reason why I can think is because of the timber that joins the 2 properties. A big piece of land by highway old 218, that is about 2 miles long. But the two land owners wont let anyone hunt it. The place is like an animal refuge! The deer flock down there, and no one's in there to stir them up. It's getting to the point I thinking of not even going.
I don't know what to do. I would just like to see a deer! Any advice would be great help.
Thanks

Jason V

Are you hunting in the timper or on the edge of it next to the fields you speak of? If i were you i would try to find a route they take to get from their bedding area to their feeding area, this is about the best spot you can get during late seasons, i too have hunted fields, along tree lines, they are no good right now, They used to flock the field, now they all hide out in the timber until dark. So i would try that, if that fail, i would consider finding a new spot if possible.

Just remember that you have to be there to get a shot. Keep focused. It is tough right now due to the warm weather. There have been times when I have hunted hard and not seen anything and did not want to get out of bed the next morning to do it all over. Persistance will pay off in the end. The biggest deer of your life could walk by your stand and you will be there! They move early, you move earlier. Go with your instinct. Move to another area if your not seeing anything there. Go knock on some doors and seek out new places. Stick it out and you may be rewarded. Changing and applying new tactics will only make you a better hunter. It is not always about seeing the deer or harvesting one. Stay with it and good luck!

I don't know the area but I would try the edges close to food. As mild as it has been the deer don't have to be in the timber they can be anywhere. I do agree with the persitence factor too I have hunted many times in a row not seen a deer only to stick it out and be rewarded. My only other suggestion the may be some other factor to deer not being in there, I have had problems with wild dogs and coyotes and they both can do a good job of screwing up an area!! Good luck and keep trying!!

We pushed a lot of heavy cover the last week and havent seen many deer in or around it.With the weather being so nice they have no reason to be hiding in the thick stuff.The majority of the deer weve seen have been out in the wide open.Small patches of grass, fencelines, and just laying in the middle of fields.The ten pointer i shot the other day we found laying with two does about 150 yrds from the road in a bean field.If they aint in the heavy stuff look in places you wouldnt normaly look, dont overlook anything that doesnt look like its big enough for a deer to hide in.They gotta be there somewhere just keep trying, you cant shoot one from the couch.
smile.gif

Driving back and forth to work over the last week I have been seeing deer regularly, but not where I normally see them. Think about it, if you had been chased by the "orange army" for the previous three weeks would you still be in your normal haunts? If you were, you would probably be at the locker by now hanging upside down!

Pretend you are a pheasant hunter, forget the timbers, look for brushy draws and overgrown fencelines that are about 1/3 to 3/4 mile away from the timbers that host the "sluggers". This warm weather has even exacerbated this tendency IMO.

Also, don't be afraid to scout a little more and hunt a little less, you might just surprise yourself with what you can see. This also gives the deer a chance to settle back into their normal patterns. Lastly, pray for cold weather, that's what you really need to tip the scales in your favor during this season.

Good luck and enjoy yourself whether you get a deer or not!

I'm not sure how many terraces you have down there, but a lot of times when it's nice and even sometimes on a sunny afternoon after a snow we'll spot them bedded on top of or at the base of terraces. We've spotted and stalked them and lost them in the terrace grass until they got up to run. Makes for an exciting hunt. As a last resort this late in the season you can stalk into bedding areas. Sounds like there's a chance of snow that might get them moving. Keep at it, I'm in favor of still-hunting or spot and stalk to be more aggressive and go after them.

I've been out the last 4 days or so and have also talked to a number of serious deer fanatics. I've been seeing very little movement. Most of what I have seen is quite late with does and fawns coming to food. Buck movement, even the young ones is really slow. A friend go a buck with muzzle loader a couple days ago. He happened to see it bedded at a distance, stalked close and shot it as it got out of it's bed just before 5 pm.

Unless it gets cold before the end of season I think it will probably continue to be slow. If I were you I'd take the opportunity to look up some new land to ad to your hunting areas. Most people have quit by now and getting permission might be easier.

I was expecting to see less deer in the late season, but we have been seeing tons of them in the last few days. In the places I hunt, I normally don't see lots of deer. They seem to be feeding differently now, and are in larger groups. Right after my son shot his deer on Friday, 12 deer ran by a partner's stand, and then another group of 17 when past him. They are a bit jumpier, as you would expect.

Yesterday, I was hunting in a different place, and had a medium buck and 6 does come in behind me. I'm still holding out for the 'big un', so I let them go on. I had set my pastor up in another spot about 300 yards away, and thought I heard a deer snort shortly after daylight. When I met up with him later, he said he had some good news and some bad news. The good news is that he saw the very large buck that we knew is in the area. (We have seen him twice). The bad news is that his muzzleloader wouldn't fire when the buck was within 20 yards of him. Not sure of the problem, but think the bolt wasn't all the way down, or else the safety stuck. His gun is working fine, now. That's the closest I have seem him come to crying. Other than that, we are having a blast . . . hope our sightings continue. Also, hope you guys start finding the bunches. Good luck !

Top Bottom