Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Always something new...

deerdown

It seems every year I plant something new.

This year it's bee keeper clover mix (came in great!), giant sunflowers and milo.. Last year was German Millet - great stand, and crimson clover, regular sunflowers - both failed plots.

Every year about this time, I say I'm going to keep it simple and just plant clovers, and every year January-March I end up buying seed that sounds like it'd be fun to try......

My curious nature I guess.........

What are you guys trying new this year?

Nothing new this year for me- focused on some other things so I kept it simple. Next year though I have my eye on trying something really off the wall but the deer have been hammering them in the yard so we’re gonna try

I change my plans every year!!!! Not the way folks think like sometimes but always adjustments at a minimum…. New herbicides. New seed genetics or varieties. This year is pretty minimal…. Tried 3 new soybean varieties. Added a herbicide cocktail to my mix for corn to deal with cockleburs. Switched To about 75% of my ground be fertilized with compost instead of conventional. Went to polymer coated urea. I am leaving larger areas of clover. That’s it for this year. On my future years: sugar beets, pumpkins, sunflowers, rutabaga, etc will get some more attention or trials. 10 years from now…. I’ll be trying new things then!! Never stops. :)

I change my plans every year!!!! Not the way folks think like sometimes but always adjustments at a minimum…. New herbicides. New seed genetics or varieties. This year is pretty minimal…. Tried 3 new soybean varieties. Added a herbicide cocktail to my mix for corn to deal with cockleburs. Switched To about 75% of my ground be fertilized with compost instead of conventional. Went to polymer coated urea. I am leaving larger areas of clover. That’s it for this year. On my future years: sugar beets, pumpkins, sunflowers, rutabaga, etc will get some more attention or trials. 10 years from now…. I’ll be trying new things then!! Never stops. :)

Care to share many acres you plant ?

Care to share many acres you plant ?
Im an Open book on almost any issue!!!! This year im at about 300 or so. Guessing. A big clip down from my peak of about 2000+. 300 is “silly business”. Plots, CRP, FORESTS, orchards, & projects take up far more acres and time.
I love experimenting on the crop ground too though. Making no till an “art” if u will. Trying cover crop blends. Building organic matter. Sure- improving yields is always a component but usually a bi-product of doing other stuff right. Making ground “drought-proof”. Picking grains with more wildlife benefit/desirability, etc etc etc.

The one thing I’m probably the most excited to see advance & get myself…. DRONES!!!!! I hate being around herbicides. I love the idea of doing it from a drone. When it’s wet…. &…. No crop damage. Etc. The ability to spread cover crops!!! Game changing. It’s here now with its limitations & fun to see how great they will make it.

With farming- it’s clearly far bigger than plots.. but a big “new idea or trial” on a plot might be .5 to 5 acres a lot of times. & heck, I still have tiny little plots like .1 acres. & still have the memory to remember what it’s like doing plots with a rake, weed whipper, etc ;)

I am always open to something new but getting it down to where I know what works very well for me.
This year sunflowers r the new item for deer habitate.
Rutagabas and sugarbeets I love.
I need to learn to say NO when stuff is offered for me to start in the greenhouse.
I think it's to late for rehab my addiction is out of control

I need to learn to say NO when stuff is offered for me to start in the greenhouse.
I think it's to late for rehab my addiction is out of control
sounds like u are associating with bad influences!!! When peers are pushing things on u and your addiction is out of hand…. Maybe these folks are just bad news?!?! ;). Tell me more about these deviant bad influences on your life? I’ll search out some treatment & rehab programs for you.

sounds like u are associating with bad influences!!! When peers are pushing things on u and your addiction is out of hand…. Maybe these folks are just bad news?!?! ;). Tell me more about these deviant bad influences on your life? I’ll search out some treatment & rehab programs for you.
Only treatment/therapy that I found is at 20' up. But even then just temporary

Here's a picture from today of my Warm Season Cover Crop Mix, its an experiment with some new stuff in it.

Attachments

• 20240616_150910.jpg
    20240616_150910.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 30
Im an Open book on almost any issue!!!! This year im at about 300 or so. Guessing. A big clip down from my peak of about 2000+. 300 is “silly business”. Plots, CRP, FORESTS, orchards, & projects take up far more acres and time.
I love experimenting on the crop ground too though. Making no till an “art” if u will. Trying cover crop blends. Building organic matter. Sure- improving yields is always a component but usually a bi-product of doing other stuff right. Making ground “drought-proof”. Picking grains with more wildlife benefit/desirability, etc etc etc.

The one thing I’m probably the most excited to see advance & get myself…. DRONES!!!!! I hate being around herbicides. I love the idea of doing it from a drone. When it’s wet…. &…. No crop damage. Etc. The ability to spread cover crops!!! Game changing. It’s here now with its limitations & fun to see how great they will make it.

With farming- it’s clearly far bigger than plots.. but a big “new idea or trial” on a plot might be .5 to 5 acres a lot of times. & heck, I still have tiny little plots like .1 acres. & still have the memory to remember what it’s like doing plots with a rake, weed whipper, etc ;)
Thank you

Interesting topic.. I've played with a lot of different products and mixes over the years.

I've been going the opposite now, slowly been narrowing down to what works well for me..

- Warm season: Keep clover mowed, and sorghum/soybean mix.

- Cool/Fall season: radish/turnip plots + wheat/AWP/clover.

- Clovers: Narrowed down to Alice, red mixes.

Interesting topic.. I've played with a lot of different products and mixes over the years.

I've been going the opposite now, slowly been narrowing down to what works well for me..

- Warm season: Keep clover mowed, and sorghum/soybean mix.

- Cool/Fall season: radish/turnip plots + wheat/AWP/clover.

- Clovers: Narrowed down to Alice, red mixes.
Alice is on my list to try next.. And chicory.

Top Bottom