Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

An IW first??

Daver

PMA Member
To my knowledge, there has never been a trail camera picture of a grey fox posted on IW. :) But now...there is! :way:

I am 99% sure that this is a gray fox and the first sign of one on our place in our years there. (A close neighbor has also gotten pictures lately too, we both think it is the same critter.) With no further adieu...

161-imag0415.jpg

161-imag0416.jpg

I plan on setting a cam set on video mode just to try to get some better pics of this guy(gal). I would love to see it in person.

Sweet pic! I had one on camera two years ago but it was blurry. I'm still waiting to see one in person.

I was very serious about trapping for a number of years and never caught one and I've only seen one in the state of iowa, around 10 years ago. Even running alot of cameras for the last 10 years I have zero pics of a gray fox. They are a neat little critter

Yes very rare to see anymore. Heard at one time they were quite plentiful. I have seen two. One from the road last year and another from a tree stand when I used to do the park deer hunts.

I posted up some pics in our journal this past summer, but those were AZ gray foxes, which are quite common. I never get tired of seeing them! Cool pics!

I also have a trapped a bunch and have always wanted to catch one but have only seen one in Iowa and it's been all of 10 years ago they are definitely a beautiful animal!! Nice pics hopefully u can get a bunch more!

I posted up some pics in our journal this past summer, but those were AZ gray foxes, which are quite common. I never get tired of seeing them! Cool pics!

Dang it!! :D Well, maybe I posted the first IOWA gray fox. :D

I remember going fox hunting with my grandfather about 45 years ago now, yikes, and seeing one that day. He knew where there was a den of them and we waited patiently nearby on a log for them to come out. He had spotted them while squirrel hunting earlier that day.

One finally did come out of the den...for about 3 seconds before it saw us and went right back in. :D I suspect that I was not holding still very well...a problem I still have today. :D This was just outside of Cedar Rapids, close to East Post Road, near Marion. It's all houses there these days, but it was a big, wild timber back then.

I had no idea at the time that gray fox were so uncommon and I have never seen one since.

Very cool. I see very few fox period. Never saw a gray fox I don't think. wish there were more fox, neat critters. I see far more bobcats than fox by far. So many coyotes- coyotes kill or run out fox?

Very cool. I see very few fox period. Never saw a gray fox I don't think. wish there were more fox, neat critters. I see far more bobcats than fox by far. So many coyotes- coyotes kill or run out fox?

Yup from everything I learned the coyotes take over. Back in the 80s there were fox everywhere and you couldn't over harvest them from what I've been told. Once coyotes showed up the fox population went downhill fast.

Yup from everything I learned the coyotes take over. Back in the 80s there were fox everywhere and you couldn't over harvest them from what I've been told. Once coyotes showed up the fox population went downhill fast.

Not on the aforementioned property! It was loaded with red fox, grey fox, coyotes. I thought they didn't coexist until I had that ground. Maybe it was just an exception.

I'm going to say your property was an exception. Growing up there were no coyotes. Fox maxed out population in the mid 70's. Mange broke out and depleted them to near nothing. Along came yotes and the fox never recovered. Only place they den now is near a town or road. Their young rarely make the first year. Road kills are high. Ask your local DOT. Nice pics on the grays. I have never seen a live grey. Only have seen one road killed grey.

Top Bottom