Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

An open letter from an NR....long..

A

arkmo

Having just returned from Iowa and the opening of the shotgun season, I wanted relay some thoughts after reading this forum for the last several months. Firstly, I have been to Iowa several times, but never to hunt. My first concerns were, in no particular order, that as an NR I would not be welcome. Secondly, I was concerned that the opening morning would be much like it is in my home state, which is to say an army of orange, guns blazing, camper kingdoms, four wheelers, horses, mules, marching bands and general chaos.
Actually (and NOT surprisingly), we found the people of Iowa to be as friendly and helpful as during my normal summer vacations. In fact, everyone we met went out of their way to help us. My dad, (70 years old), said it reminded him of "the old days". On opening morning, I heard only sporadic shooting (no one told us the natives actually started around 9am ; ). At any rate, we did'nt take a deer while there, although we passed on several. One thing for sure, Iowa is paradise to live or hunt. If I am ever able to afford it again (very expensive) I would love to go back and bow hunt.
So, thanks to all the folks on this site and in SW Iowa! Till next year, The Chief

Chief, thanks for the kind words. Were in SW Iowa did you hunt? I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and hope to have you come back.

Micah

[This message has been edited by micah3553 (edited 12-06-2001).]

Having fun is the name of the game.... hope to see you back. Tell the mrs. hi for me.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure the rest of us Iowans appreciate your comments on the state. If you can't afford to hunt Iowa next year, let me know. I might be able to work something out with you. Email me at Carbide8@hotmail.com. if your interested.

Thanks Guys, I kick myself for not popping a nice one Sunday morning. It had a perfect 5 on one side with 10 inch G2's but a broken left side (about 5 inches of gnarl!) It was nice but I kept thinking a hoss would come along any time. I found out it is almost impossible to do a drive with two people. I can't tell you how many times those critters jumped up 100 yards in front of us and moved out. If the economy picks up we may take a shot at a bow tag. Good luck, The Chief

Thanks for the compliments. Come back as often as things work out.

I am a resident and have 4 tags this year. I am very selective in what I want to harvest.I rarely kill a deer anymore it seem even though with the antlerless tags i have this year i should harvest some skinheads. I am off to try that tomorrow in Union county. I am privileged to be able to hunt on 3500 acres that nonresidents are leasing and managing for the highest quality possible. I will be atempting to help in managing the doe numbers. That turns out to be very dificult. The leaseholders have a "fine" structure to discourage killing immature bucks. Try sorting does from buck fawns when as many as 100 deer are moved in a drive.

Some people call my lack of killing incompetence. Maybe so but I call it hunting and that is the most important part for me. Just having the opportunity to be in a place that has the number of mature bucks that this does is a privilege.

Bill

Hey Bill, we both intended on taking a doe if we had not tagged out by Monday afternoon. Due to circumstances we had to leave early and did not get that opportunity. It seemed to me that the Buck/Doe ratio was perfect in our area, as we saw almost a 50/50 ratio. Monday am I had a big spike running with two bb's right under my stand. They hung around for quite a while until the spike winded me.

Arkmo, I too have been afforded some pretty good hospitality in southern Iowa. I drew a non-res late season blackpowder tag last year and didn't pop a cap due to not seeing the one I waited 3 years for. This year I didn't draw a bow tag and still went up for the opening weekend of shotgun season, with video camera in hand.

I had the chance to take some video that has gotten the attention of my fellow Show-Me-State whitetail chasers. Out of respect for the landowners, I've only told them I was "somewhere in southern Iowa!"

Good to know other NR's are law-abidin', ethical hunters who appreciate those antlered critters in the Hawkeye State.

MO

Glad you had a good time. Good to hear your gracious comments.

I think you reap what you sew as a hunter. Those few looking for trouble seem to find it. The rest seem to fit right in.

Best wishes for the holidays.

I WAS SO THRILLED TO READ NICE WORDS BEING XCHANGED BETWEEN RES AND NON-RESIDENTS I HAD TO FINALLY REGISTER AFTER HAVING VISITED THIS SITE COUNTLESS TIMES. THERE WAS A TIME WHEN NORTHERN MO.WAS JUST LIKE SOUTHERN IOWA. THAT WAS BEFORE ANYONE THOUGHT ABUOT DEER HUNTING IN PLACES THAT LOOKED MORE LIKE GOOD RABBIT PATCHES. STARTED HUNTING SO IOWA IN 1993 (THEY DIDNT EVEN SELL ALL THE NON RES TAGS THAT YEAR!)AND DREW FOR 94,95,96,97,AND 98 BUT HAVE FAILED IN THE DRAWING SINCE THEN.
I HAVE A PREF POINT NOW AND HOPE TO HAVE AN ARCHERY PERMIT IN 02. THERE IS NO WAY TO SAY HOW WELL IVE BEEN TREATED BY LANDOWNERS AND I HAVE ALWAYS RESPECTED THEM AND THIER PROPERTY IN RETURN. IOWA IS A WHITETAIL WONDERLAND AND EVEN IF I AM ONLY ABLE TO HUNT THERE ONCE EVERY 2 OR 3 YEARS I AM THANKFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY. I ONLY HOPE THAT THE UNETHICAL ACTS OF OTHER NON RESIDENTS, LIKE THE INCIDENTS SOUTH OF BLOOMFIELD THIS YEAR (CLOSE TO WHERE I HUNTED) DOESNT RESULT IN EVEN TIGHTER RESTRICTIONS IN THE FUTURE.
BE SAFE EVERYONE,
TOM

I also was fortunate to draw a non-resident shotgun tag this year in Iowa. This was my first trip to Iowa so I had planned on strictly hunting public land. I arrived a couple of days before the first shotgun season and planned on scouting for a place to spend opening morning. At the cafe in town I was told that a local farmer might allow me to hunt on his land. I went to his place and was treated nicer than I would have ever expected. This farmer as allowed me to hunt wherever I wanted to on his property. I was overwelmed with the kindness of this stranger. Iowa truly has some great people.

Come on back anytime, there is plenty of public ground that is overlooked by residents. No need to hire a guide. Go to about any archery shop and ask questions.

A friend of mine came in from out of state this year. The area I hunt was in different non-resident hunt zone, but I had friends set him up and while he didn't bag a wallhanger, he'll be back. Cool thing is he'll return the favor when I want to visit his state.

Top Bottom