Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another How Old ?

THEBAD

I am Posting these for a friend,...and at the same time just curious...how old do you think these guys are. I myself would tend to believe they are 5 1/2 at the oldest and I really dont think they are even that old. Your thoughts?

Also wondering how much growing these guys got left ?
pic 1 close up
392.jpg

pic 2 same deer distance pic
398.jpg

pic 3 second deer
106.jpg

I'd call the first one 4.5, but 5.5 isn't out of the question. I wouldn't deny that the second buck could be 5.5 as well; he is a S.T.U.D. Amazingly enough, that second buck looks as if he'll put on a little growth yet. It's so tough to tell ages at this time of year. Either way, they both have been around the block a time or two. You don't get racks that size in free range without having some age. Go get 'em!

Pics can be so deceiving, leaving the rack out, the first two pics don't even look like the same deer. The first pic doesn't do justice to that buck's gut. I'd say 5.5, but I'm far from an expert.

I may not know anything but that second buck has awful short brows for 5-1/2 (although I realize that could just be a genetic trait). #2 would definately get an arrow from my quiver, I know that much. #1 probably would also.

Thanks for sharing - all these photos gets the juices going again.

I'd say the second picture is the only one giving you an opportunity to make a half-way educated guess. Looks like he's at least 4 1/2. The other two pictures look like they could both be as young as 3 1/2 in my opinion, but without a side view it's too hard to tell. The rack alone won't tell you too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWilk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You don't get racks that size in free range without having some age. </div></div>

Yes you do, just not where you live. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif It's too hard to tell without a better look at the body. I think we all should know that size of the rack means nothing between the ages of 3 and 10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Waddell Wannabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWilk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You don't get racks that size in free range without having some age. </div></div>

Yes you do, just not where you live. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif It's too hard to tell without a better look at the body. I think we all should know that size of the rack means nothing between the ages of 3 and 10. </div></div>

Stir it up Taylor. Stir it up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I agree with you, but you gotta admit... it is a rarity to have a 170+ inch 3 year old deer even in Iowa. Call me crazy, but that second buck has got some serious antler.

hoofline.gif

Wow, that wide rack buck photo taken on 07-30-08 makes my old heart beat a little faster. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

If I really wanted to know his age I would pull out one of his teeth; right after I finished field dressing him. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Top Bottom