Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another Pretty Boy Attack

Horn Hunter

Things were kind of slow on Tuesday, 5/5, I decided I would leave work about an hour early. I decided to head to a spot that I had only hunted once this year. This spot has been really good in the past few years so I figured I'd give it a try for the afternoon.

I got all setup in the middle of the field, settled in for a little while and then threw out a few calls. I called sparringly about every 15 minutes or so and after about an hour I thought I heard a gobble behind me.

I peeked out the window and saw a hen coming by on the right about 30 yards away. I called again and got an immediate answer. I called two more times and he gobbled back both times. I peeked out again but I could not see him yet. I stopped calling and waited a couple of minutes. I didn't hear him and I couldn't help myself and I called again. He answered immediately and this time he was really close. I peeked out the blind and saw him about 15 yards behind the blind.

I had Pretty Boy and a couple of hens set up but they were on the other side of the blind and he could not see them yet. I picked up my bow and got ready. Next I hear him run by the right side of the blind and he appears and goes straight for Pretty Boy. He goes into full strut and bumps Pretty Boy. He circles around the back of Pretty Boy and comes around the other side.

As he clears Pretty Boy I have a perfect broad side shot so I let it fly. I hit him hard and he jumps and limps off to my right. He stops about 30 yards out but he continues down a small hill and I hear him hit the fence. I am too old, fat, and out of shape to give chase so I wait a little over an hour before going to look for him.

I found him dead in the fence row and I was so happy. This is the first year I have ever shot two turkeys and to get them both with a bow was great.

He is bigger than my first bird at 23 lbs., 10 7/8 inch beard, and each spur was 1 1/4 inch.

Sorry the pics are not the best but I didn't realize the grass was so tall until I looked at the pics at home.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom