Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anterless Resident Bow Tags

You can purchase the antlerless tags in any county you want--you just have to specify what county you will hunt in. For example, I live in Pottawattamie County but want to hunt (use my antlerless tag) in Allamakee County. I can puchase that tag at any ELSI vendor and the tag will state it is for use in Allamakee County only.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Thanks Doug. One other question. Can you purchase 2 antlerless tags at the same time you purchase your state wide archery tag? I have heard conflicting stories about how many antlerless tags you can purchase on the 18th. My understanding, after reading the phamplet, is that you can purchase 3 archery tags on the 18th of August. One state wide and 2 antlerless.

I think the information in the booklet is a bit misleading. The way I read it is the antlerless limit is 2. But if you read the very back page is says you may purchase 1 antlerless county specific tag on August 18th and then if there are still tags available on Sept 14th you can purchase a second tag?

Not Doug, but that my interpretation after reading it a couple times?

There's a lot of information in those booklets and the more times you read it, the more info you get. That's what's nice about this thread, you get a bunch of different interpretations on rules and regulations. Thanks for your input, that makes sense.

FYI - It looks like these tags are first come first served. I know in my area they seem like they are going to be popular.

There were only 50 available for my county and I got mine at 10:00am the first morning they were available. So did the three guys in line ahead of me. I bet they were all gone the first day!

If they want to reduce the herd, this is a good way to do it. How many bowhunters pass on a big doe early on because we "know" big boy is going to pass within 15 yards during the rut? This year we can take advantage of the 180# doe that stands quartering-away at 15 feet the first weekend in October!

Top Bottom