Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anticipation - The Real Harvest

BW

Went out and set the first stands of the season last night. Within an hour of entering the woods two men in their 40's were bubbling with excitement over the sign and visions of their expectations (like kids getting ready for Summer vacation). The actual harvest will never equal the anticipation.

Best wishes and safe hunting to all.......

BW
I really envy you. I know you picked the perfect spots! Good luck on your Colorado hunt.
Don

AW Man! I envy you being able to get out to get stands up already. It will be a couple more weeks for me. Hope you saw all kinds of sign!

Also, I know that you shoot traditional and was wondering what broadhead you shoot? Was thinking about shooting the WW out of my 61# longbow.

Bowbendr, You may be my envy when I come down with West Nile virus symptoms in November
tongue.gif

I shoot about anything I can get a sharp edge on. I may have 3 different BH's in my quiver at any one time. I personally favor single blade heads. I'm shooting around 58# and have little problem making it all the way through anything in this state. (Except a tree
shocked.gif
)

I have always had some Zwickeys, Ben Pearson Switchblades,Bear Razorheads,MA-2's and some homemade ones laying around. The great thing about solids are you can use them over and over and over. My philosophy is as long as it is sharp and placed correctly, little else matters.

Magnus,Woodsmans,Grizzly's etc... all do their job if the hunter does.....Good luck!

DonW, I have the best guide that always goes with me. I'll take my Tums along, Thanks
wink.gif

I also spent last night getting the stands ready. I figured I'd just as well take advantage of this cool weather. I just re-check the bolts and chains on my stands, loosen them if the tree has grown any, back out the steps one turn and re-trim my shooting lanes. One tree had grown quite a bit since last year had to loosen it 2 links! I hunt the same ground year after year and leave the stands up year round. The elements can take a toll on my stands so I check every link, cable, nut and bolt for rust or weakness. I also was excited about the anticipation of the up coming season. I saw lots of promising sign.
Good Luck everyone!
Pupster

I find that building stands, trimming lanes and other prep work is much more exciting than actual hunting. These things are proactive, engaging activities that to me are much easier than that point when you finally get to your stand and have to remain motionless for hours. That requires patience, which I don't have as much of as I do energy. Nevertheless, I enjoy my time on stand, especially when there are deer or other animals around, or even just on a nice, peaceful fall day.

Pupster - just a heads up on something I ran into a few years ago that your post reminded me of.

If you leave chain style stands out year round and the tree grows... Be sure to check where the chain is attached to the stand too!

I had a situation a few years ago where I was helping a friend check his stands out, I don't leave mine out all year, and the maple tree had grown to the point that the weld attaching the chain to the stand was weakened. I would say that if I hadn't spotted that, someone would have been in for a pretty wild ride about 18' down!

Apparently, the force of the tree growing out stressed that weld enough that it was just about ready to give way. If there had been any weight on it, I think it would have.

Also, another little stand safety thing I started doing a few years ago...

I have some chain style and some strap style stands, regardless I will always put a secondary cable around the stand and the tree in case the first line of defense fails. I just use regular 1/4" diameter stranded cable. In my mind, if the primary strap or chain breaks, I at least have a backup system. I also use the proper safety belts and such too.

Good luck this fall.

Daver,
Had the same thing happen to me several years ago. It actually bent the rod the the chain was welded to. Thanks for the heads up you can never be too safe. I have found, If you take care of your equiptment it will take care of you.
Pupster

Top Bottom