Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

antler auctions and mounting questions

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
Hey guys I am thinking bout mounting those shed that I found last year and have been thinking bout making a cast set of antlers from them and selling original.

Last year at deer classic there was a guy there that reproduces antlers his name was antlers by Klaus. I've thought bout getting them casted and mounted and sell the original at the auctions in eastern Iowa for circle m auctions.

My questions are how much do the antlers typically go for at the auction. If u want to look at antlers look up thread called shed antlers that grossed 202. My other questions is if any one has got cast made before and would it be smarter to go that way and sell originals and sell rights to the cast and get a royalty every time they sell a copy of it.

I'm looking to see wht would be the cheapest way to get them mounted. If I should just do it outright with the sheds or if after I cast and mount them and sell them at auction wht would be cheapest. Thanks for the help!

Its very pricey to have repo antlers made. Ive looked into it a few times and decided against it.
I just wanted to give a few landowners repos of some of the bigger sheds I have found on their ground...
The casting and coloring would probably be 2-3 times what your shed antlers would be worth to a buyer

Its very pricey to have repo antlers made. Ive looked into it a few times and decided against it.
I just wanted to give a few landowners repos of some of the bigger sheds I have found on their ground...
The casting and coloring would probably be 2-3 times what your shed antlers would be worth to a buyer

this, the sheds you have are not as worth as much as you think they are or hope they are. Say you are lucky enough to get $500 for them how many repos do you think you are really going to sell?

Hey guys I am thinking bout mounting those shed that I found last year and have been thinking bout making a cast set of antlers from them and selling original.

Last year at deer classic there was a guy there that reproduces antlers his name was antlers by Klaus. I've thought bout getting them casted and mounted and sell the original at the auctions in eastern Iowa for circle m auctions.

My questions are how much do the antlers typically go for at the auction. If u want to look at antlers look up thread called shed antlers that grossed 202. My other questions is if any one has got cast made before and would it be smarter to go that way and sell originals and sell rights to the cast and get a royalty every time they sell a copy of it.

I'm looking to see wht would be the cheapest way to get them mounted. If I should just do it outright with the sheds or if after I cast and mount them and sell them at auction wht would be cheapest. Thanks for the help!

Also the cheap route would be just put the antlers on a cape you shot, bring to taxidermist, bring home,hang on wall, and you still have the real deal

A decade or so ago when there was very few people replicating antlers, what you are wanting to do, IE, make a few bucks from royalty rights, was doable. Anymore, everybody and his dog including myself are replicating antlers and unless you've got sheds that score in the 120's and up as singles, it's going to be real hard to get any royalty from the replicator selling sheds. All that and the fact the you are considering having Klaus do them, considered by many as one of the very best at replicating, his services aren't cheap.
My advise to you is learn how to replicate them yourself, sell a copy once in awhile and keep the originals.
I'm not going to go into the details of what my replicator and I forged for a deal years ago when mine were done but it was a good one for both of us, but as mentioned earlier, those days are all but gone due to more people making and selling replicas.

Thanks for the input! I have just been looking around at doing it as of right now I haven't decided wht I want to do. (I don't need to do it right away).... I'm just looking at all options. Might just get it mounted alone.. have also thought bout going to school to do taxidermy and antler reproduction I just don't know how much money would be in doing it and how much the demand is. Thanks again for the input. And the shed do score high the right aide was 120 and left was 90. Has 4 total drop tines.

Just looked up your post - good grief! Unless you had 6 starving children to feed you would regret selling that set for the rest of your life! You and most on this forum will most likely never find another one like that 120 - keep them just the way they are! Mount a replica set, but keep them original. Just my opinion of course. :)

I knew it was big but not a 200 inch set. I took it to my local scheeles and had them unoffically score it and with a 20 inch spread it scored right at 202.
I guess I'm not reading your math correctly. Original post says score is 202 but 120 and 90 is 210 without the 20 inch spread.:confused::confused::confused:
Regardless, it's a great set. something else to think about....drilling holes in the bases will take away some value from serious collectors. link to original post....

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46015

Yes u r correct on that it doesn't add up. When I first posted it was just done by a friend at scheeles before I took to the classic to have them scored. Just wanted to clear :) but thanks for the ideas all great info!!

I have had work done by Klaus and I guarantee you will not be disappointed! His work is amazing and worth every penny on a trophy sized bone!

Have never had a repo done from Klaus but they look amazing that is for sure. Don't drill holes into the bases....like shovel said, the value will go down. So the one side is 120...what is the other side?

That's a heck of a set, I bet somebody would be willing to pay good money. I personally wouldn't sell them. Looks like a once in a lifetime deal.

Just looked up your post - good grief! Unless you had 6 starving children to feed you would regret selling that set for the rest of your life! You and most on this forum will most likely never find another one like that 120 - keep them just the way they are! Mount a replica set, but keep them original. Just my opinion of course. :)[/QUOTE

Well said Shoot2Kill! I agree

Top Bottom