Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antlers falling off!

Old Buck

Life Member
When I checked to see how some friends had done on opening day of second shotgun season I learned that the antlers had fallen off of two of the bucks they had gotten when they went to drag them out. Seems awful early for that. Any one else have the same experience?

I found a HUGE shed along a fence line last week. 5 points, the base as thick as a tube of tooth paste.

It was NOT chewed up or weathered at all which I found to be quite strange. It wasn't hidden or anything, just lying there.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him last Saturday,When they went to drag him out one side of the rack came off.He was pretty dissapointed because he wanted to have the buck mouted.

It would be no problem mounting the buck yet but if he wanted it scored he couldn't do it. Just as you can't score anything that has had the skull plate split.
I sure hope this antler loss isn't going to happen early again this year like it did last year. We were picking up all kinds of big sheds during late muzzleloader season last year. It was kind of disheartening thinking the buck you were hunting had lost his antlers already. I figured it was just the stress from all the early snow fall but it may not be. I have never seen it happen two years in a row!
G6

Our group has taken a few big bodied bucks over the years that we thought were does because they had already lost their antlers. Too bad too because the bloody bases on those animals were pretty big.

A hunter in our group tripped over a very wide and large five point shed during the first day of the first shotgun season. It also had not been chewed, it certainly did not look like a shed that had been out in the open under the elements for a year.

Top Bottom