Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any toms with ladies yet?

J

jason

Have any toms been spotted persuting, or strutting around hens? And what do you all use for a camo pattern. Realtree made the knew Realtree hardwoods, it looks like a great pattern with all the light green mixed in!
Thanks!

i've seen several groups of turkeys with the gobblers struttin for hens...i'm getting mildly psyched!

I've only seen toms strutting twice so far. I think all the cold mornings we've had has kept them quiet this spring.

Was out shed huntin in the rain today and came upon a roosting site. Walked a lil bit further and came to a field with about 9 or 10 turkeys in it and one great big black blob struttin his stuff. Pretty exciting. Cant wait only a week left. Thank god. On another note did find 2 sheds today too. Both off 1 1/2 year old deer, one was from last year.

Happy huntin all
Numba1

I saw 4 toms struttin' in one field for about 8 hens. One hen even laid down in front of one of them. I thought he was going to breed her, but she jumped up and ran right at the last second. What a tease!

I have been out the past couple weekends and have started to see changes in patterns. Groups are starting to break up. Father in law actually saw a tom breeding a hen a couple weeks ago.

Wednesday I saw three gobblers following a group of hens deep in the woods, 5 hens feeding without a gobbler and a lone gobbler looking for company.

I recently moved to Iowa approx. 4 months ago...... I have never experience the turkey woods like I have this past week. I met a farmer outside of Cedar Rapids that said his farm was 'infested' with turkeys and that he would be glad to have me come out to hunt.

I met up with him three weeks ago at his farm to learn the boundaries.... 200 acres with 45 wooded. We saw 1 lone longbeard on one side of the farm and then 6 longbeards in a group on the opposite side..... no hens.

I went out this past week before daylight to do some scouting etc. At daybreak the gobblers were sounding off like mad! I slipped within 100 yds and sat along the edge of a corn field in some brush. Within one hour I had over 40 hens and 5 longbeards within 50 yards feeding and strutting up a storm. It was an awesome sight! They fed around for over an hour before feeding over the ridgetop. I am going to have my work cut out for me to get the boys away from the ladies...... any suggestions?

Bust em! Break them up off the roost in the evening or just before dawn. Set up to call in that area and the toms will come back looking for their hens. It's more of a fall tactic, but I've had it work for me in the spring too.

Yep I'm Finally in the Turkey Hunting MOOD!!
smile.gif

Going down I-80 from Des Moines to our 160 acres in Decatur County, we saw around 25 or so turkeys. With 8-9 long beards, and 5 of them where struttn' their stuff of for the chance at gaining some babes. They are broken up now, for sure! We never saw a group with over 5 birds in it. One tom was strutn' 20 yards off I-80!! Also saw 2 hens moving at a fair pace coming out of the woods and we never saw where they went, but they knew where they wanted to be.

Well now all I can do is wait 13 days and I'll be after that longbeard hoping to let him recieve some #4 lead freckles from my A-5!
smile.gif

Deerslayer

[This message has been edited by deerslayer22788 (edited 04-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by deerslayer22788 (edited 04-14-2002).]

Top Bottom