Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody have $650,000 laying around???

sask

I don't think you are buying the land, just a lease to control the acres for hunting...there may be some real estate involved, but I doubt anyone would sell any land for $7 an acre.

What is going on with hitching the moose to the logs! That's gotta be fake

It's the real thing. I remember watching a show on TV with that guy and his bull. It was cool except I wouldn't want to be close to that bull when he decides he didn't want to do that for a living anymore.

I'll try to clear some things up being from Manitoba, this isn't a property sale although some might be invlolved. The province (State) sells non resident non canadian tags directly to the outfitter. The outfitter must own the rights to all the tags in this portion of land. That is what they are selling along with all the equipment to run the business. There is likely private and public lands that are hunted by canadians in this area. Any private lands would still require permission to hunt on and any public lands would be open to anybody with a tag. I think this info should be at least 95% accurate.

Last edited:
So, if I understand MBBobby right, there could be locals or other folks hunting the 150,000 acres that I'm not aware of- legally? (Sure, it'd be impossible to monitor the area for illegal folks completely BUT if everyone around there has ability to hunt it legally, it's not sounding near as good). And I'd still have to get permission on private land, wow.

Then, in the listing it says the lease needs to be renewed each year. Wonder what the cost on that is. I sure couldn't imagine it's $650,000 per year?!

Lot of money to not really control the area and still have the public and residents coming and going and hunting as they please when you forked out over half a million bucks!

*Why would anyone photo-shop those pics of the moose, ya- I just saw the mirrored logs. Why would someone do that?

Last edited:
I remember Kaare talking a couple years back about the rules concerning non residents owning land up there. He must be away from the web or I think he would of brought us up to speed by now.

I will predict that this is a big scam of some type.I called about the property just to ask questions.The main office gave me the agent's office phone number.When I called it it rang a bunch of times and a recording came on and ask for my PIN.Thinking I must have wrote the number wrong,I called back to verify.It was the correct number.So the guy gave me his cell phone number.I dialed that and it rang and rang,a recording came on and said "the person you are calling has not set up a voice mail yet.Bye".So being the curious type I am I looked at the list of agents on Whitetail Properties web site and the person whose name I was given isn't even in that list.Soooooo....I called a different agent to ask about the property.He told me he knew nothing about it but hge would send an e-mail to the other guy and have him call me,I won't hold my breathe.
Moral of the story...if it sounds to good to be true,it probably is.

too good to be true

Archery95: Interesting side note. I would disagree with you on the "too good to be true" in that it is not too good at all. Buying a lease is a risky purchase. In the description it mentions that the lease is with the government/province I believe, and it "should" be easily renewed. Well, what if it isn't renewed. The ad makes no mention of owning real estate, so paying $650,000 for a lease is extremely risky, even if I hit the lottery, I wouldn't purchase a lease, you could buy a great Iowa farm for that kind of money and you would own the land.

Also something to note is that there is no such thing as a hunting lease on private land in Canada (except some trials that were going on in alberta). It is actually illegal to pay a landowner for hunting permission in Manitoba for example.

I have seen similar ads to this one of other outfitters going out of business and looking to sell. This ad is a little misleading due to the different set up with outfitters in the us and canada.

There would be many locals hunting this area, just as they would the rest of the province, legally. You would have to get permission just like everybody else.

The renewal would be what the outfitter pays the province for the nonresident tags each year. So I wouldn't think that the $650 000 would be a one time thing for the business name, equipment, and right to the tag allocation. The yearly would just be the price of the tags.

Again not 100% sure my response is fully correct

So, if I understand MBBobby right, there could be locals or other folks hunting the 150,000 acres that I'm not aware of- legally? (Sure, it'd be impossible to monitor the area for illegal folks completely BUT if everyone around there has ability to hunt it legally, it's not sounding near as good). And I'd still have to get permission on private land, wow.

Then, in the listing it says the lease needs to be renewed each year. Wonder what the cost on that is. I sure couldn't imagine it's $650,000 per year?!

Hardwood11..are you serious?You don't agree with me?I am shocked.But you have never agreed with anything I have posted yet.
The ad says 96,000 acres for SALE at $7 per acre.That would sound to good to be true to me.I am sure there is a lot more to it (fine print) than the ad states.I think you do agree with me but you are just coming in the back door to do it.

I'll chime in. The purchase price would simply be for the lodge itself, the equipment and the tags alloted for the area. The person would not be actually purchasing any land as it is simply "Crown Land". (Public Land) That is where all of the outfitting in SK takes place with the exception of Indian Reservations.

Bobby is correct in that the 650 grand wouldn't be a yrly thing, the yrly cost is the cost of the non resident tags, sold by the province to the outfitter. That is the yrly renewal, nothing more. They are guaranteed to the purchaser as long as they wish to buy them and tru sell hunts. They could by half the amount allotted, or 5, or the full amount, just not any more. The yrly cost would depend on how many tags the purchaser of the lodge and allotment would choose to buy from the gov't of SK.

The owner of the outfitting operation would not have to aquire permission to hunt, they have it in purchasing the allotment. There will be no private land involved for reasons I stated previously therefore the only rules on huntability are in regards to staying within the defined territory. Bobby is also right that locals can and do hunt the property as well as it is "Crown Land", not owned by the outfitter.

However, in reality the resident hunters are so low in # in regards to the space that outfitter/resident conflicts would be slim to none.

I cannot really see how it is too good to be true. There is no land exchange happening. It is simply an opportunity for someone to buy the lodge, equip etc, as well as the right to purchase 36 deer tags and 21 bear tags. I know that 5 yrs ago this would have been a tremendous steal for someone, after all, you would have no problem selling all 36 hunts for $5000 or so as well as the bear hunts for about $2500. That would be U.S dollars as well and at a time when out dollar was only worth about 65 cents, outfitters were coming up roses. Now the dollar is about par and outfitters are having trouble booking hunts for all of their tags, or even many in some cases, due to what we hear is the U.S economy. I'd call it buying a license to lose money if you were to purchase it today. If things quickly turn around and get back to a few yrs ago, it's a steal of a deal.

Sorry for the long winded reply, just thought I'd give some "next door" information.

land

Archery95: I was simply trying to make a point (cleared up by Saskguy) that the ad does not say anything about land for sale at $7 an acre. Therefore I don't think it is too good to be true. If someone was selling land for $7 an acre, of course that would be a buy of a lifetime. That is not the case here. I was not trying to be argumentative, I was just pointing out that the ad was misleading and to me for a lodge and some yearly tags, that is still a lot of money.

Not sure when I disagreed with you before, but if I did, don't take it personally. Just on this site to learn.

I talked to the outfitter/buisness owner on the phone.He told me there is only about half acre of titled land that a buyer would be purchasing.The $650K is buying the buisness,the lodge and the half acre it sits on and all the equipment.
The continuing yearly cost is $350 for the tags.
He also said,as Sask Guy stated, there is other people that will be hunting the land but 99% will be hunting moose.Hardly ever will you see a deer or bear hunter.
The lodge and titled land is valued at $275K and the equipment is valued at $85K.

canada land

Sometimes the person that puts the ad on the internet is not a hunter or just handles the website as a service. I have seen this before, you have to call and get the details. This year I saw an ad it said 160 acres $2100 dollars. Again, thinking this is too good to be true, I called and the guy said, "yeh, it is $2100 per acre, and I have had 25+ calls. Well, get on the internet and change the wording then.

As Archery 95 pointed out--- the title on this ad makes it look like a steal, then you read more and reality sets in. You were right the title makes it sound like you can buy land for $7/acre. I was just saying that after you read more, it didn't sound like a steal anymore.

I will say, property in Canada can be bought for relatively cheap, even today as I write this, I saw an ad for 40 acres for $6,000 (property had been logged, but the aspen trees grow fast and you would have good deer cover in no time.

My father in law purchased a 320 acre farm in 2005, loaded with deer, bear and grouse, has mature aspen, birch and cedar for future logging, creek, some swamp,and nice hay ground he paid--$65,000. This is in Ontario just across the border. Huge bucks with giant bodies, a friend of mine shot a buck that field dressed close to 300 lbs.

There are several land owners in that area from the US, most are from Michigan for some reason, a few from MN and Illinois.

Top Bottom