Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody Have this Frustration

BuckDownBuckup

Three years ago I bought this property and I have been letting deer walk. Come to find out I was facebook friends with an individual that has taken deer that I let walk 2 out of the last three years. So in scrolling through facebook pictures I soon realized this. I kind of laughed but was depressed at the same time. Its called hunting for a reason.

Ya my buddy had this happen. And the guys doing in are tresspassing to do it also. He has tons of trail cam pics of them. he doesent own the land but has soul permission.

huntyak, I have read doubletrees posts in the management section regarding hinge cutting and I am considering trying it this winter. Are you happy with the hinge cutting you performed?

huntyak, I have read doubletrees posts in the management section regarding hinge cutting and I am considering trying it this winter. Are you happy with the hinge cutting you performed?

I've done this for years and love it. I'll let Huntyak chime in. His job sure looks great! I'd take Dbltree's advice in a nano-second if I were you- top notch and I can't think of someone that knows more. You will be very pleased with results.

Jdubs-Yes-no question-although it will go against most of our instincts and that pretty woodland scene. But, when I look back, I also realize the best farms to hunt had the nastiest cover around.

Another note, it looks like a tornado went through, but its all JUNK trees (IW,Hickory and select cut some shingle oaks, leaving some in areas with no other mast)

I actually looked at the carnage and it makes you say, "Oh boy, what have I done" but again, as I looked around, I could find hundreds of places I could hide...much less a whitetail.

My advice, and what I did, is have an expert like doubletree do a consult, then also have a forester go as well. Find areas that will regenerate oaks and areas that are more likely to be hinged, forming many micro-habitats on your farm.

I will never win an aesthetics contest for my farm-but I will start to harbor big bucks :)

Three years ago I bought this property and I have been letting deer walk. Come to find out I was facebook friends with an individual that has taken deer that I let walk 2 out of the last three years. So in scrolling through facebook pictures I soon realized this. I kind of laughed but was depressed at the same time. Its called hunting for a reason.

And sorry, didn't mean to distract here... That does suck. Been there. Even though it's free-range deer and hunting, it stinks. I can see why it's frustrating to neighbor land where the 2 neighbors have 2 separate goals and don't see things the same way- doesn't work real well. Heck, I grew up in michigan where I've seen over FOUR times I can remember- passing up a buck and having him still in sight where he got shot in front of my eyes- no facebook needed, watched them get blasted within 5 minutes of passing them. Probably why guys want to buy or lease land - because it's so hard to manage when you're surrounded by folks who want to blast everything or not let things reach maturity. I am trying not to knock those folks- I'm just saying that having 2 neighbors with totally different goals is very frustrating!!!
I have ONE neighbor now that I'm thinking that's no where close to my goals.... ground is less than 1/2 the size of mine, had at least 3-4 guys bowhunting every day, at least 7-10 guys gun 1 and at least 7-10 guys hunting gun 2. They do ZERO to improve land, manage for deer, plant foodplots for wildlife, etc, etc- not one thing- just show up to blast deer- that's it. My ground is dead silent- theirs sounds like a war zone. I have 2 guys on my ground hunting almost 3 times the size of theirs and they have 7-10. The GREAT part is: my ground is much bigger, much better, no pressure.... they run all the deer off their ground with their drives and they stay on my place. Downside is: I know of 2 bucks I passed they killed. Last great part is: i can think of 8 other pieces of land in area that don't get blasted like this ONE does. So, my land + 8 others - 1 that blows stuff away, I think long term I'll be just fine and those guys are just "ruining" their own land, IMO. No sense in arguing the issue- at most you could try and convince the guy to "your way of thinking" but he can still blast whatever he wants. Which I never want to take that right away from a guy or a neighbor. BUT- I still have the right to plead my case. Worst case, make your land more desirable and if you think he's destroying his, let him do that and keep making yours better and better. Personally, I'd keep your pressure low, TSI the heck outta the place, load it up with food. Your land will continue to get better and yes, to some degree your neighbor will reap the benefits but not like you will.

I don't see enough deer to be too picky on the ones I take. Therefore, I've not had that feeling, but can see where you'd be frustrated. But, think of how happy that hunter was to take that animal (hopefully). Your strategy will pay out eventually.

Top Bottom