Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody read...................

Steve-O

World Member
The article in the Des Moines register about how they are trying to reduce the buffer zones around homes for urban dear hunts in the Des Moines metro area. It would go from 200 yrds to 100 yrds.
Also a little side note that was mentioned in the paper, that since implimented in 1998 there has been no accidents of anykind involving bowhunters during the urban hunts. So to you guys that do the urban hunt, keep up the good work and the good name you are giving us fellow bow hunters.
applause.gif

It was voted on and this is the first of three sessions and the vote was 5-0 in favor of reducing the buffer zone.

There was a gentlemen in there that used to feed them and now is welcoming in the hunters to reduce the heard that keeps damaging his plants and shrubs.

They also mentioned that Iowa City doesnt allow urban bow hunters but do pay around $45,000 per year to hire sharpshooters to take out some deer. Seems dumb to me but I am no politician.

Well good luck to all you urban bow hunters.

Steve

Steve,
You just have to understand the mentality in Iowa City. The figure is closer to $100,000 a year. The neighboring town of Coralville has conducted urban bowhunts with great success and it costs them nothing and perhaps makes them a small amount of money from the tags. The jokers in Iowa City just don't get it and never will. For as educated as those folks are they sure don't have an once of common sense or sense of reality.

[ QUOTE ]
You just have to understand the mentality in Iowa City

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh.....doesn't muddy live there? 'nuf said
grin.gif

there was a story on last night 6 and 10pm news on KCCI. shockingly, very little anti bias in the story. one resident said he didn't know if it was safe. what he should have said is "i have no idea what is going on, and my opinion is based on crap i have made up in my imagination, without gathering any real facts"
sounds like there is a bit of hassle involved. you must get permission from the landowner (ofcourse) and permission from surrounding neighbors. different neighborhood associations, and cities will have additional requirements. all hunters must pass a bowhunter safety course(once), and pass a archery proficiency course every year. hunts are to be scheduled at time when kids will be less present (to and from school)
it passed the first vote 5-0, with one absent. i think they said it has 2 more votes to get through

Muddy doesn't live in Iowa City.

It's not so much the people of Iowa City as it is two council members who will prevent this from happening. We need to clean house in the city council. A family friend is on the council and welcomes suggestions, but his hands are essentially tied.
frown.gif

I'm pretty sure that the revenue from the sale of city tags still goes to the DNR, but I may be mistaken. Whatever the case may be, it is a win/win situation for those cities and bow hunters that participate.

Top Bottom