Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody seeing more coyotes?

locust

I live in the QC, and commute to land near Bonaparte. I haven't spent nearly as much time in the woods as I have wanted to since I bought the place in 2002, but since then I have never seen a coyote in the woods. The last 3 times I went down(every other weekend the last 6 weeks) I've seen several coyotes on the drive down, and have seen coyotes in my back field...this week several of them. Are you guys seeing more and more? In Feb, my dog was tore up by coyotes in the AC one evening...so I'm getting the itch to buy a varmint gun...am I the only one seeing more? I expect to see them now when I go down.

Close to you, near Mt Sterling. First season hunting turkeys- I saw 5 coyotes in three days. Monday, Tuesday & Thursday. Did not see any on Wednesday but suspect one disrupted a group of birds right after flydown.
Have been told that coyotes actual impact on turkey numbers isn't much of a factor- low efficiency on catching birds although they may get a few but probably help as they eat more fox, raccoon, oppossum, and skunk that are really efficient at finding turkey nests.

At my place I tend not to see very many coyotes, NE Davis County, but I think that is because there is a local group of good ol' boys that run their hounds through a wide area, including my place. They have the whole radio tracking thing going and what not. I see and hear some coyotes, but not nearly what I would guess for the rugged terrain that surrounds my area.

Maybe you just need to invite the "boys" over for a spell!
grin.gif
From what I can tell, they are pretty effective. If interested, let me know, I have the name of one of them.

Another good article about coyotes and more from the new 10 year study in Mississippi. This is more deer related...

COYOTES

I was calling last weekend with birds in the green field when a coyote entered. I changed from clucks to lipsqueeks and he was almost in bow range when he started to cirle!!!! DANG!
crazy.gif

I was set up on a tom last week. With the bird on the roost (within sight) and my decoys out, I was just waiting for fly-down when a yote came trotting along the adjacent ridge. I quickly got my feet in position and drew my bow back. I made a kissing noise and the yote stopped and then trotted just about 5 yds closer and.....thump! The arrow passed through and later found the female about 40 yds. from where I shot her (didn't bring my camera & about 1 mile from the truck). The gobbler never spooked, flew down shortly after, I had him at 20 yds, and I grew impatient and blew the deal! Anyway, it was cool to get a coyote with a bow, on the ground, and without a blind.

Besides that one, I have saw one on three different mornings on the pond dam by my house. Tonight I bumped one walking out of a field. Seems to be plenty of them!

Top Bottom