Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone enjoy traditional hunting?

Bowmaker,

I love the look of a quality set of cedars about as much as anyone..... but, it would be hard to convince me that PROPERLY spined aluminum arrows are not more consistent than wood. My recurve is not center shot, but I get great flight with a 2016 or 2018 arrow at 29.5" .... I use the 2018 because it is more durable, heavier, and flies better with my broadheads (4-blade vented Magnus)..... someone starting out can easily buy 1-2 arrows of different spines with aluminum and quickly find what shoots best.... very difficult for the beginner to do this with cedar. I do appreciate the extra silence added to the shot with cedars
wink.gif

Cornfed

Too much down time at work now lets me read this stuff way too much. As you can tell I like the cedar shafts and all I really meant was that the average shooter can't shoot well enought to see any significant difference in the two. We could discuss this a long time and not reach an agreement I think. I will say that at one of our rondezvous shoots we were shooting lifesavers at 14 yards with some hits and lots of very close misses. That old saying about aim small miss small realy works. Nice to trade opinions with you.

My head head hurts trying to think of all them numbers
smile.gif

I'm glad I started bowhunting before I found out I needed an engineering degree
wink.gif

Archery is in the eye of the beholder.

Have fun and be safe!

I like the look, touch, and smell of a nice set of wood arrows, but much prefer the penetration I get with aluminum shafts. I'm even playing around with carbon arrows weighted down with plastic tubing to get a finished arrow weight in excess of 600 grains for superior penetration.

Each person has to decide for him/her self why they hunt. How important to you is equipment selection versus maximizing your chances of success by using the most technologically advanced equipment and accessories? Within each weapon class, a hunter can decide to what extent he wants to challenge himself. For example, hunting with a flintlock muzzleloader with patched round balls and open iron sights presents a much different, and more difficult challenge, than hunting with a modern scoped in-line muzzleloader. The same holds true in comparing various types of archery equipment.

If you find your hunting becoming a bit too easy and routine, try hunting with equipment that will introduce more challenge and require more mastery of the weapon on your end.

There have been a lot of great points brought up in this discussion...... the choice of ones equipment does not determine who the better hunter is nor who enjoys the experience the most. We all choose various styles of equipment that we find personally satisfying. I switched to more of a 'traditional style' of hunting bow when I found that practicing was becoming boring and repetitive for ME. I have found the barebow style of shooting very stimulating and rewarding. There is nothing quite like a practice session of roving through the woods and pasture with judo tipped arrows doing some 'stump shooting'. Picking out a leaf or small twig and drilling it from an unknown distance....... that is addictive. Some days you will amaze yourself just how accurate you can be......... hunting with bow and arrow is a true blessing that I don't take for granted.
smile.gif
...... I also appreciate the caliber of sportsmen that frequent this site.... good luck the rest of the season guys.....

Actually, the name of this thread is ' does anyone out there enjoy traditional hunting?' Not, let's bash each person's choice of hunting tool. And for those of you that are not very familiar with what the traditional time period is, it is mostly around the Fred Bear era....they had cars back then, by the way. It is all a matter of choice. I think it would be nice to get rid of the glow pins, laser rangefinders, 80% letoff,etc, and make a person gain some woodsmanship.....instead of gaining it thru Cabela's and Petersen's Bowhunting.

Swanny,

I am a little confused or maybe I am misunderstanding you...... I don't see where we have been bashing each others hunting styles or choices..... just sharing some of our personal experiences and preferences. I don't personally care for the term 'traditional' .... it means many different things to different people. Some would label my choice of equipment traditional and others would not.... it really doesn't matter to me because I thoroughly enjoy what I am doing, and I feel that I have limited myself enough to make the hunt challenging and thus very rewarding.

Certainly lines have to be drawn as to at what point does a bow become so mechanized that it is no longer a bow by definition. I feel that most of the bows currently on the market should be still considered legal weapons for archery seasons. As far as woodsmanship, I feel that has to be taught from within our ranks and not forced by laws, etc.

a good guy to get traditional supplies of any kind is Lamont Granger....owner of The Footed Shaft in rochester, mn....he will mail to you also. 507-288-7581.

Top Bottom