Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

These antique varieties can get addicting!!

Selected a few more desert apple varieties that were grafted this year along with others from previous years.

341865057_1258141291576198_4075665902203700690_n.jpg

341892892_743262837338154_929161238511082678_n.jpg

341850555_768595644602043_7110909813716118349_n.jpg

340926729_238707338732065_2523623158471604324_n.jpg

341868870_803310073974913_1743581361031874395_n.jpg

341247959_989761732013799_4882561924013597195_n.jpg

What root stock u using & where are u getting root stock & these scions? That’s AWESOME!!!

What root stock u using & where are u getting root stock & these scions? That’s AWESOME!!!

The MM 111 rootstock came from 39th Parallel Nursery and the Lost Apple Project is where you can order scions from in the spring. The project is on Facebook, so you can get notified when the sale is open there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How do you all keep track of which variety of tree you plant? Seems like the tags come loose over time and blow away, or the sun fades the writing. My memory isn't good enough to keep track of the 30+ that I have planted (let alone replanting when I have to replace dead ones.)

How do you all keep track of which variety of tree you plant? Seems like the tags come loose over time and blow away, or the sun fades the writing. My memory isn't good enough to keep track of the 30+ that I have planted (let alone replanting when I have to replace dead ones.)
Horribly ;)…. If u want to keep a tag on the screen of tree or attach to cage…. Best way. My only way that’s viable for me…. I just know the varieties & know what looking at. There’s some hybrids & a few I’ve lost track of though. Could keep a little map too where ur master map keeps track of what planted where.

20230414_174603.jpg
20230518_182207.jpg

I got another 20 apple trees planted in this spring and have been using the fertilizer schedule that was on here. Last years trees are really taking off.

I always have some nasty asian beetles and I know that time is approaching. They killed a 5 year old sweet cherry tree last summer even after I hit it with some spray. I'm not entirely sure they didn't get two of my other first year apples either. What are you guy using to keep your new plants safe?

I got another 20 apple trees planted in this spring and have been using the fertilizer schedule that was on here. Last years trees are really taking off.

I always have some nasty asian beetles and I know that time is approaching. They killed a 5 year old sweet cherry tree last summer even after I hit it with some spray. I'm not entirely sure they didn't get two of my other first year apples either. What are you guy using to keep your new plants safe?

Your spot looks like a good location to put up a purple martin/swallow house or something along those lines to help combat the Japanese beetles.

I'm running into the same problem for apples/cherries at my house. I've been using the traps to catch a 5-gallon bucket full the past couple years.

This year I added a bird waterer to attract more to the garden and see if that helps. The grackles are showing up in droves now and they do like the beetles.

Last edited:
I and my parents have been using tempo on fruit trees when the beetles start after them. It stays for a long time unless you get a lot of rain to wash it off. Have had very good luck with it.

Just to let anyone who is interested in planting apple trees that it is very doable! Give them attention and they do well. Planted about 365 about 20 years ago at our WI farm and roughly 350 plus are still doing well. Planted about 65 on our IA about 5 years ago and roughly 60 survived. Excellent food plots! Attached a few pictures of different plantings on our WI farm. They are in full bloom!

Attachments

• Apple Trees 1.jpeg
    Apple Trees 1.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Apple Trees.jpeg
    Apple Trees.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Apples 2.jpeg
    Apples 2.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Apples 3.jpeg
    Apples 3.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 132
We could definitely use some water down here in Winterset. The 2nd year trees are really growing fast. Having soaked the new trees for around 10 hours this year I feel it really made a big difference with them getting established. Watering once a week right now but the mulch is doing its job. So far we have 50 trees and 10 different rust and disease resistant varieties that are late dropping. Gonna give bud grafting a try next spring when I have to trim off some first year growth.

Man, there is a ton of info on all these pages about apple and pear trees, much of it way over my head! On a new farm, for a beginner in this, what 4 apple and 4 pear varieties would you do? Ideally something that drops late and also something that i could order as bare toot seedlings

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
Man, there is a ton of info on all these pages about apple and pear trees, much of it way over my head! On a new farm, for a beginner in this, what 4 apple and 4 pear varieties would you do? Ideally something that drops late and also something that i could order as bare toot seedlings
Not 4 but this my go to.

Apples: liberty, enterprise, Arkansas black.

Pear: kierfer, barlett

Was thinking of trying my hand at grafting next spring. Seems if you buy rootstock in bulk you can get MM-111 for around $1.50 a pop if you're doing 100 or more. I've got the grafting tool, tape, wax etc but do we run into any problems with overwintering them? I've got a couple hundred 3 gallon pots but was wondering if you can just start them in a raised bed or if those need to be covered in winter to avoid root damage?

I've been following IowaBowHunter1983's fertilizer schedule and have had great luck with it. My second year trees are looking fantastic. Other than having to fight off the damn Japanese beetles everything is going awesome. All these were selected for being late dropping and diseases resistant but would like to try some unique varieties if I can find the scions.

2nd year trees-
Rockingham Red
Keener Seedling
Yates

1st year trees-
Newtown (Albemarle)
Hewe's Crab
Blacktwig (Mammoth)
Swiss Limbertwig

Last edited:
Was thinking of trying my hand at grafting next spring. Seems if you buy rootstock in bulk you can get MM-111 for around $1.50 a pop if you're doing 100 or more. I've got the grafting tool, tape, wax etc but do we run into any problems with overwintering them? I've got a couple hundred 3 gallon pots but was wondering if you can just start them in a raised bed or if those need to be covered in winter to avoid root damage?

I wait to have them shipped till early spring. I graft the scions to the rootstock and store in a cold garage for them to callus over. They’re pulled out of the garage and planted in trays later in spring. They’re babysit till fall when I take them out to their permanent home.

Usually get 3-4’ of growth grafting in this manner.

a6abc70f7ed60c00bba080097db7902b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom