Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow selection

Danno

PMA Member
I need to buy some new arrows. When I got my bow I set the draw weight at about 58 pounds. I've since cranked it up to 65. At my draw length (28") the arrow charts has this as borderline for moving up in arrow weight. What are the pros and cons of the heavier weight? I think it is 9.5 vs 10 grains per inch. Thanks
Dan

need to know arrow length (if its different than your draw length) and tip/broadhead weight

ttt
I know I can (and will) probably get an answer to this question at the bow shop, but I would like to know some opinions. Plus it would be helpful to know if I need to make major changes in arrow weight for my elk hunt. Thanks

not really sure what to tell you. i know that with my arrow length, i could step down to a 3555, but i would only do that to see what speeds i could get. i'm shooting great with the heavier arrow, and will most likely stick with that for hunting. hopefully your bow shop has an "arrow bucket" and you could shoot an arrow of each size, to see which you can get to perform best

Danno, when figuring your arrow size/spine there are a few things to take into consideration.

One of the first things you'll need to do is determine what length your arrows should be. This can vary some due to the individual's preference. I prefer that my hunting arrow sits about 1" in front of the riser. This will keep those precious fingers safe, and a longer arrow is also more stable. Your best bet is to go to your local pro shop and have them check this for you.

Your draw weight will also determine what arrow you should be shooting. I'm assuming that you're shooting a 60-70# bow. If you're positive that you're going to shoot 65lbs and only 65lbs, then size your arrows accordingly. But if you're unsure of your draw weight, I would recommend that you size your arrows up to 70lbs, that way if you happen to increase your poundage, you're not having to purchase new arrows. Also, its better to be a little 'over-spined' than 'underspined'. When your arrows are underspined, they tend to have a more erratic flight pattern. Sure your arrow might hit that buck right in the "sweet spot" but if its angled up or to the side, good luck with getting that pass-through.

Your cam design is also important when sizing arrows. They usually are listed as a Medium Cam(dual or hybrid cam) and Single or Hard Cam.

You will also want to know your field tip/broadhead weight. This isn't a big issue unless your concerned with you FOC.

Also, you had asked about the pros/cons of a heavier arrow - A heavier arrow will usually produce more kinetic energy, which will inturn give you better penetration. But at further distances, a heavier arrow will drop more drastically than a lighter shaft, so yardage is more crucial.

I would suggest stopping by your local pro shop and have them check exactly what size/spine of arrow you should be shooting. It will be quick and easy, and should cost you little to nothing. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom