Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Autumn Olive

Iowa254

Has anyone planted autumn olive on their farm. I notice some areas have fields full of them and other areas very few. They are really fast growing providing fast cover on open farms for deer and lots of berries for birds and smaller animals. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck growing them.

Naughty naughty!!! :grin:

Great stuff- very invasive. SO..... Should everyone or most folks technically "steer clear"? Ya. Could there be a situation where you had a OCD landowner who planted one row with them, then slower stuff in following row.... Once the slower stuff got to height- the OCD landowner could spend every last second for years making sure they were eradicated.
They are invasive BUT they are a heck of a plant. My hometown in MI had 12' tall OO shrubs covering 200 acre game area- oh my gosh is that place off the hook amazing for cover, thickness, etc.

Really, lets bottom line this..... thick, awesome cover, resilient and FAST GROWING are the traits you are after. There's 10-20 other options I can think of that would offer you ALL the same benefits EXCEPT they would not be quite as fast growing. So- bottom line, really all you would be after is maybe a 5 year jump start on getting to your goals. Downside is invasive, etc. See what I mean?

BTW- alternatives could & should be....
gray & silky dogwoods (I like gray the best & redosier the least)
red cedars
wild plum
shingle oak (native but invasive BUT I'm gonna guess may fit into your "fast growing" thick angle).
swamp oak
high bush cranberry
hazelnut
nanking cherry
ninebark
Osage orange
etc, etc. I'd read up on iowadnr and missouri nursery the the specific traits of the species they sell. You will absolutely find some that you really like - each has many ups & downs. So even if you were going to be NAUGHTY & do some devilish OO- you absolutely should be diversifying into other species that offer a ton more things features/benefits.

The "correct answer" would either be- unless you must have super fast growing & will 100% eradicate later- you really should avoid. There's plenty more options. OO is very tempting & a great plant- I totally get it. I would not be short side & close minded on that one thing though- take a look at diversifying with above, etc.

You used to be able to get it through the DNR forestry but since it is invasive you can no longer get it. I don't know where you would begin to look for it. But like others have said, its great for wildlife but it can take over a field or timber pretty quickly. If you plant it you'll need to manage it carefully. Talk to your forester.

BTW- alternatives could & should be....
gray & silky dogwoods (I like gray the best & redosier the least)
red cedars
wild plum
shingle oak (native but invasive BUT I'm gonna guess may fit into your "fast growing" thick angle).
swamp oak
high bush cranberry
hazelnut
nanking cherry
ninebark
Osage orange
etc, etc. I'd read up on iowadnr and missouri nursery the the specific traits of the species they sell. You will absolutely find some that you really like - each has many ups & downs. So even if you were going to be NAUGHTY & do some devilish OO- you absolutely should be diversifying into other species that offer a ton more things features/benefits.

The "correct answer" would either be- unless you must have super fast growing & will 100% eradicate later- you really should avoid. There's plenty more options. OO is very tempting & a great plant- I totally get it. I would not be short side & close minded on that one thing though- take a look at diversifying with above, etc.
Nice job on offering options:way:

Has anyone planted autumn olive on their farm. I notice some areas have fields full of them and other areas very few. They are really fast growing providing fast cover on open farms for deer and lots of berries for birds and smaller animals. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck growing them.

Yeah, birds have planted some here. This plant is here to stay in the midwest with millions that were promoted and planted by government and birds. I also have since planted some of the cultivars for human consumption, that were selected out of thousands of seedlings for larger berries? and/or taste I guess. Everything wants the berries.. insects, birds, humans, bigfoot.. they are high in lycopene, supposedly help protect against some cancers like prostate. Eat them up if you get to them before everything else.

For the Iowa State fans
autumns_zps19452752.jpg

Ive got some ,if you want to come down to southern IL and grab them ,they come out fairly easy. all sorts of sizes for free. J/K ,I just ram them with the dump bucket and pull them out , they will get out of control.

Yeah these things are the best and worst rolled into one. I'd recommend steering clear as most have stated. They might multiple quicker than rabbits!

Actually my farm does have some already. When i bought it 3 years ago it had cattle on it. Since they have been removed I have noticed I am getting more autumn olive along with cedars. The area I am in has some just not a lot like some areas. When I posted I was just wondering if anyone has planted and what they thought. It is for sure really quick cover. Since people have brought it up since it is an invasive species can one still plant it?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Don't bring in something invasive. Go with native "alternatives" that are listed for better diversity and wildlife habitat.

You will create more work for you and your neighbors years down the road if you go with AO.....

Working on getting rid of some this year.Cut it couple weeks ago gonna spray with simazine and roundup late march.Then follow up with spot spraying with 24d.Already frost seeded switch to take its place as well as having some little blue already preasent.My experience watching it grow I did not plant it.Is that it colinizes slowly once there the seeds stay in the bank awhile.I cut it back a couple years ago and it came back rapidly.It shades the inner edge of my woods hampreing the growth of other native shrubs and grasses.Also once it gets to a certain heigth it shades everything underneath it.It subsists in the understory however doesnt get as thick as full sun.Once released it explodes with growth however all the while spreading seed.A better alternative would be in my case switch or elderberry.Do not recomend planting it.

Top Bottom