Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

B&C's response to King Buck

flugge

taken from the B&C website (sorry if this already has been posted)

King Buck Response
May 10, 2011The Johnny King Buck:

Setting the Record Straight --

In light of a recent article in Deer and Deer Hunting by Duncan Dobie about Johnny King's typical whitetail deer, the Boone and Crockett Club's Records Committee would like to clarify our position. I would first like to note that it is important to understand that neither Jack Reneau, Director of Big Game Records, nor any member of the committee has a vested interest in the specific score of this or any other trophy, other than to see that it is accurately scored in accordance with the Club's guidelines. The declaration of any new World's Record is a welcomed celebration for the Club, game managers, and dedicated sportsmen.

We are concerned with the misinformation being presented in the article. After speaking with Jack Reneau, I found that he was misinterpreted regarding a possible rule change. What has been printed does not reflect what he was trying to convey. He said with the high and increasing volume of whitetail deer entries, we are seeing abnormalities that are not addressed in the scoring manual. These can present challenges to the Official Measurers. The right G3 on the King buck presents just such an abnormality. This situation came to light under the term of the Club's previous Records Chairman and was written up in the winter issue of Fair Chase Magazine in 2000. Reneau was merely pointing out that it is an issue that had not been directly addressed in the Official Measuring manual, but has been the subject of much discussion.

The King buck, while an exceptional specimen, was determined to have an abnormal right G3. This was confirmed, independently, by four highly experienced Boone and Crockett Club Official Measurers. Each of the scorers involved in this examination were senior measurers with both Pope and Young Club and Boone and Crockett Club. They have served on numerous Judges Panels for both organizations. After the four measurers made their determination, the trophy purchaser/promoter questioned the decision. Jack Reneau reviewed the file with other Big Game Records staff and the Records Committee members who also all concurred with the ruling.

Due to a liberalization of the entry requirements a few years ago, this damaged buck is eligible for entry even though the main beam had been shot off. The original Official Measurer's judgment that the buck needed review by Boone and Crockett Club to see if it could be officially scored and entered with the broken main beam was correct.

The purchaser/promoter of the rack has repeatedly requested that a panel re-score the deer. The criteria for panel scoring are 1) to confirm a new top-ten trophy entry or 2) to confirm a new World's Record entry. Neither being the case, no panel will be convened. The original entry score of 180 points is accurate.

In conclusion, Boone and Crockett Club is well aware of what can be at stake when antler buyers, agents, promoters, and endorsement seekers weigh in on scoring, and we will remain vigilant to maintain the integrity of Big Game Records, with fairness to all trophies and all trophy owners. In doing so, the Club will not let any individual or group modify the rules to favor a specific trophy above others. The King buck was withdrawn by the hunter from our records program. It is in no way a pending World's Record, nor subject to revision. It can be re-entered at anytime by the owner with a typical score of 180 points.

Richard T. Hale
Deputy Vice President
Records of North American Big Game Committee

What I dont understand is how the Curt Van lith buck can be considered g 2 and g3! I will try and get a pic but that buck is huge and by the way they are talking should be scored different. Doug

It was paneled scored at around 199" and showed me how really unfair the system is when someone decides what is common base and what isnt!!! No different than the zaft buck!!! Doug

picture.php

Here is the zaft buck that was denied record bow kill because they considered this common base. If you look at alot of teh top heads the way the panel scores common base points is really a shame to some people. Doug

I agree that the Van Lith buck is an awesome buck but have for years wondered how it could have normal g2's and g'3s on it. If that is the case wouldn't the circumference be like 12 inches? Just curious. I do believe the B&C made a good explanation. 2 sides to every story no doubt.

The Van Lith buck was scored before the rule took effect. Then after that buck was entered, they changed how they scored points like that.

B&C stance on this buck has nothing to do with a common base. They believe the tine does not come off the top of the main beam in line with the other tines.

picture.php

Here again is the buck in ?. As you can see it is a common base point and they ruled it as such. This is why the G-3 is considered non typical no other reason.MK look at pic and you can tell the tine in ? comes from the top of the main beam. It is a common base ? and they say if you cut of the points it should form what looks like a figure 8 when you look from above to be considered 2 separate points. Doug

No matter what the "final" score is to me.. Knowing the what ifs, and just the overall size. I would be very proud to have him on my wall.. Either that or let him walk and hope the next year it would have grown normal :drink1: haha

Who cares about what some trophy club says it scores....you have yourself a world class whitetail there. Put it on the wall and look at it each day and know it is one of the biggest ever shot and be proud of yourself. Who cares what the public says about it or some so called experts. Everyone knows that is a once in a lifetime deer, so be proud and don't worry about what other people think about it.

This has NOTHING to do with common base points and figure eights. It is a question of does the tine come off the top of the main beam IN LINE with all of the other tines. B&C believes it is more towards the inside of the main beam and thus not a typical tine. I won't even attempt to form an opinion based off a few pictures.

Top Bottom