Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Back from Saskatchewan

DoneRight

PMA Member
What a great trip to Tobin Lake in Sask. I had a chance to meet some great people in bear camp, and got my first opportunity to kill my first bear.

We took off on Sept 1st, and drove 24 straight hours to get to camp. We got unpacked and hopped in the truck with the owner to bait some sites. I still can't get over how beautiful the scenery was up there. ( or the amount of mosquitos we encountered.)
picture.php

picture.php

We didn't start hunting until Monday night, so we got well aquainted with the other members in camp over dinner and a few cocktails.
Monday night JW arrowed the first bear taken in camp, and his first bear a 250 lb boar.
picture.php

That was the only bear taken that night, but everyone in camp had at least a little bear come in and work the bait.

Tuesday we took some pictures, skinned and butchered his bear. EM and I went out again while JW went and tried his luck with some walleyes. EM shot his bear Tuesday night, a 275lb boar. He was overly excited, as he used his late father's .348 to take him.
picture.php

I also shot my bear on Tuesday. I took what I thought was going to be a perfect quartering away shot, but at the last minute the bear shifted his body and I didn't notice through my peep. So, I was pretty bummed when I saw my bear take off with 6" of arrow and fletching sticking out right in front of his back leg. I really didn't think we would find him, and I was really down on myself for taking that shot and wounding an animal like that. I told my guide I had shot one when he picked me up, and that we should wait until morning to look for him. He agreed. That was one of the longest nights waiting and shortest nights sleep I think I've ever had. Just being worked up after a bad shot, and kicking my self for taking it. I hate that feeling of that emotional low. But we went out and found him in 20 min in the morning. It ended up being almost a perfect shot. The broadhead punched right through him behind his shoulder on the opposite side. He painted the ground to where he ended up laying for the final time. Words can't describe what I felt when we found him. Such a magnificent and beautiful animal. He ended up weighing 255lbs.
picture.php

picture.php

After everything was skinned and butchered, we tried our luck at fishing for the rest of the week. We didn't have much luck until our last night in camp. Where we each caught our limit of keepers to bring home the next day.

When we left only one person had not killed a bear, out of seven hunters in camp. I can't say how much I enjoyed this trip, one of the best guided hunts I have ever been on. Great food, an exciting hunt, and meeting alot of great people that I'm sure to stay in contact with in the future.
I have some video from the stand I will try to post later, once I figure out how.

Great story and pics, looks like you had a trip of a lifetime up in gods country.

Congrats
Kratz

Nice :way: Looks like an outstanding trip...and quite a melon head on that bear of yours :drink2:

NWBuck

Top Bottom