Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Backpack size/space needs

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Hey all,

I do NOT own a backpack of any sort and Im looking at buying my first Badlands Pack. I know most guys here on IW are using the 2200 pack (2310C.I.). But my question is how much room does a solo hunter need? My local gander mtn has some badland stuff but none of the packs. And none of the other packs they carry have any sizes on them.

Due to the fact I dont carry a pack I carry very little equipment. Calls, range finder, binos, cell phone is all. I carry a bow in one hand and my rattling antlers slung over my shoulder.

I do a few hang and hunt setups in a year and only turkey hunt 4days in a year. Im think the most of anything that I might ever carry would be a heavy jacket + boot blankets + normal equipment I would carry if I had the space for it.

Im looking at the Ultra Day (1800C.I.). Any opinions or ideas?

Thanks

I have the Badlands 2200 and just picked up the Monster Fanny Pack. I hang and hunt every time I hunt with LW and 4 sticks. This weekend, I used solely the Monster Fanny. You can actually wear the pack normally and then put your stand and sticks on your back. The nice thing is the way the stand sits against the pack it puts all the weight on it down around your hips. You don't even know its there. It can fit everything I need inside it.

For the winter hunting, I am going to use my 2200. The 2200 is nice because I can lash my stand and sticks right onto the pack. I can also lash my heavy winter coat and bibs rattling horns whatever I feel like it. It holds everything else I need as well.

I guess if I had to pick between the two it would be the 2200 simply because I do a lot of turkey hunting and I like to pack everything into the 2200. If I wasn't big into turkey hunting, I would choose the Monster Fanny.

I have looked at the Ultra Day pack but my honest opinion is it doesn't fit my style of hunting. You can't lash the LW and sticks to it. So that means I would have to put the stand and sticks on my back then somehow lash the pack to the stand. I have done that pre-Badlands and it just sucks.

The 2200 seems like the best fit for you in my opinon.

Im going to call my local Gander and se'll if they'll order one for the store inventory and then I can go look at it.

I have looked at the Ultra Day pack but my honest opinion is it doesn't fit my style of hunting. You can't lash the LW and sticks to it.

It has the straps on the back that look like you can? Are they not long enough or are you thinking of the Superday not Ultraday pack? I want to go smallest available but still be able to strap my stand to it.

Thanks for you input.

I love my 2200. Great all around pack. I too hunt with a Lone Wolf a lot. I like to carry my clothes in it to put on after my stand is hung. Also great to carry a turkey blind in.

I'd rather have too much room than not enough. I have a monster fanny and 2200 and will never hunt any other way.

Personally I prefer the 2200 because I'm used to it after 5 years of using one. The batwings are awesome for strapping things down on the outside and make carrying a turkey blind easy as pie. Where that fanny really shines is when hanging stands.

It has the straps on the back that look like you can? Are they not long enough or are you thinking of the Superday not Ultraday pack? I want to go smallest available but still be able to strap my stand to it.

QUOTE]

The difference is on the 2200 it actually fits inside the batwing. On the ultra Day Pack it is too narrow. I am sure you may be able to strap it down, but I think it would stick out quite aways not sure how the load will feel on the pack. I will try to post pictures of my set up later today and you will see what I am talking about.

Here's a few pics on how my stand goes on my 2200, along with everything else which is a nice feature. I like the Superday but think it'd suck to try and tie stuff to, those batwings keep equipment nice and tight.

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

And this is an OK pic of how I pack up during turkey season. The doublebull straps on great and then I throw my decoy bag by it's straps up over the top. Here my buddy has the deek bag but I have 2 turks strapped on.

IMG_3183.jpg

Top Bottom