Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bad luck!!!!

BowHunter84

OK I have had enough!!!!

Has any one elses bad luck NEVER failed them,
everytime i go out something either happens to spook the deer or i get hurt!!! a few example with the past month
I fell out of my tree so i had to go home.
Today i had a doe 20 yards broadside and the owner of the land i hunt on walks right by my stand checkin his fences and spooked the doe before i could shoot, then shortly after that, 2 4 wheelers come cruising by out land that we used to own but state had to buy it from us to construct a rode!!! What an awful day!

I know how you are feeling, All season has been that way for me. Nothing has gone right from the get go. I have had a spectacular season seeing nice bucks in range but either something spooked the deer or I yanked up the shot. I am going to hit it with a bow one more weekend and call it a season. I hope next season will bring good fortune.

I had one day this season when I really should have stayed home. I was running late on afternoon and was halfway up the tree when I turned around to see three tails bobbing as they made for the next county. They must have been less than 50 yards away. Then I get up the tree and my bow rope is hung up on a step and a limb. I went back down and freed it with my foot. Got my bow up and proceeded to drop an arrow and a glove and my stand had developed creeking sound. Surprising I didn't see any other deer that day! I've also forgotten my release this year after a 1/2 mile hike. Oh, and I fell out of a tree while climbing down during MZ season and ruptured a disk stalking a big buck as well this year. This isn't my first year of hunting and I still managed to shoot a doe that afternoon after falling. Is that what you call hunting hard? or just damned clumsy? Is someone trying to tell me something?

I've gone out just about every day this season, I also should add that whenever a shot is presented to me, it either a small doe or a does with their fawns, and i let them go this year, i guess part of it is that im a kind hearted deer hunter huh??
confused_em8.gif

Thanks you guys, you make me feel better. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad. My biggest problem is that the deer seem to think I stink. As soon as I wear out some of my archery clothes (or lose them) I am going the Scent Loc route.

IaCraig

You have to lose the "bad luck" mentality. Try to turn every one of those situations in which you failed to reach your goal into a learning experience. Every time you go out and not return with a deer you are seeking, think of it as YOU doing something wrong. You were in the wrong spot, you didn't take proper scent control, didn't play the wind right, didn't take into account the activities of others in your hunting area, etc. Correct those errors the next time you go out. Keep learning and improving and eventually you'll find out that your "bad luck" has changed. Attitude has a lot to do with the level of success.

I hear ya' man. If it ain't one thing it's a hundred. After a while it makes you start doubting yourself. I've had to step back, take a deep breath and re-read the "Bowhunting for Dummies" book. As for injuries, I tried to saw my index finger off while I was trimming a limb. I did learn to keep my left hand out of the way while I'm sawing and to stop sawing when I hit the bone. Still, it's been a great year!
smile.gif

Is there not any good "luck" in having the priveledge of being able to go hunting?

I see more bad "luck" in other countries besides this one, and it has more to do with just surviving than worrying about our recreations.

Look for the positive and don't dwell on perceived "success"

I experience lots of things in the woods and they are not always part of my hunting plan. But I do get a chance to go.

I blew two 10 yard shot opportunities this archery season at 160+ bucks and did not fill my tag, but still had my best season in 30 years.
wink.gif

Top Bottom