Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Barnes Spitfire MZ bullets

I've only shot one deer with the Barnes Spitfire bullet. I was sitting on the ground and it was a buck at 5 yards, hit the shoulder on my side, slightly quartering to. 90 grains of BH209 and I didn't get a pass through. I watched him run towards a creek, never came up the far bank, so of course I had to drag him up a steep bank. The weather was -20°F and I quickly gutted him in the shed once home, proceeded to skin and quarter to get him in the house so that he didn't freeze solid (legs were already frozen above the knees, so starting to skin was a pain). Gut pile froze solid, then the raccoons got into it, so I never did find the bullet. I would have liked to see how it mushroomed and would have weighed it for retention. The lack of blood trail wasn't an issue since he went down in sight. They shot lights out in the T/C Impact, so I would use them if I decided to use that ML again.

What's everyone's thoughts on the polymer tips - does it seem like their flatter trajectory isn't worth what seems like the downside that they decrease "mushrooming" i.e. may zip right through deer if not impacting bone? I haven't tested trajectory against a flat nose/non-tipped bullet or if shooting up to 200 yards (not that I can) shows much of a difference in bullet drop between the 2 types.

I swear by Barnes with the blue tip, never shot the particular ones you've got. Some bloodtrails have been good, some not as much. I don't aim for the shoulder any more though. Two reasons, I've seen it not drop a deer which resulted in an unrecovered deer since no vitals were impacted. Deer was found dead weeks later but lived for a while before dying. And second I hate cleaning shot up shoulders. haha I'd rather shoot em just like you did and take a couple extra minutes to find them.

What's everyone's thoughts on the polymer tips - does it seem like their flatter trajectory isn't worth what seems like the downside that they decrease "mushrooming" i.e. may zip right through deer if not impacting bone? I haven't tested trajectory against a flat nose/non-tipped bullet or if shooting up to 200 yards (not that I can) shows much of a difference in bullet drop between the 2 types.
Never had one not expand with a polymer tip, on any bullet for that matter. Barnes or V-max. They've expanded on every one. Often times I find the blue tip inside the deer at some point

Top Bottom