Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Base Measurements:

loneranger

Just a quick note: I know it doesn't mean anything but there was a previous discussion over the measurements of the bases of my deer. I first was measuring around the burrs with a measurement of almost 7 inches. My measure behind the burrs between burrs and browtines is 6''s. Just to set the record straight.

6 inch bases is a very nice base measurement. Don't feel bad about missing on a measurement. Nearly everyone incorrectly measures deer unless they have been trained by a scorer or done extensive research. The most common errors are not getting the smallest circumference or not drawing the baseline on the tine and measuring too deep into the main beam.

Heck I had s neighbor shoot s buck and call me saying he had 15 inch Tines. His measurement was sticking the tape measure on the Deer's head and measuring straight up!

Btw congrats on a great deer again!

I have seen a lot of people add in tip to tip spreads with score and once in awhile the outside spread. Boy would that make a difference. I think the most common mistake maybe be on an 8 point rack and that is measuring the circumference in between the g3 and tip of main beam.

I think the most common mistake maybe be on an 8 point rack and that is measuring the circumference in between the g3 and tip of main beam.

Can you clarify this? Are you saying people don't do it and they should? Or are they doing it wrong? There is supposed to be a measurement there on an 8 point rack. 4 mass measurements (per side) regardless of number of points correct?

My guess is Matt is saying that they take the biggest measurement instead of going to the middle. It usually adds an extra 1-1.5 inches to the measurement.

Here you go guys:

scoring%20picture.gif

The H4 is what maher is talking about. if its an 8 you need to measure between the tip and g3.

Last edited:
Whitetails get 4 mass measurements per side whether they are a spike or a typical 14. On an 8 pt you measure from center of G-3 to tip of beam and divide in half, mark center between the two and measure there. On a spike, measure beam and divide in half for 2nd mass measurement, then measure from 2nd mass mark to tip of beam and divide in half and that's you 3rd mass measurement, get your fourth from center point between 3rd mass measurement and tip of beam.....

My guess is Matt is saying that they take the biggest measurement instead of going to the middle. It usually adds an extra 1-1.5 inches to the measurement.

Here you go guys:

scoring%20picture.gif

The H4 is what maher is talking about. if its an 8 you need to measure between the tip and g3.

Okay. that was my take as well with what he was saying. Just trying to confirm. I knew what the correct process was, just started second guessing myself when he posted that:)

Well all this B&C measurement stuff is fine,,but I say I really don' t care. I am always interested in how old they are. I am pretty good at aging 1-2-3 yr olds. Beyond that gets tricky. I have the photos of jaws. You can send a tooth out like to the Montana place but is pricy. The deer Biologist in Chariton is good at aging. He has examined a lot of deer!

Whitetails get 4 mass measurements per side whether they are a spike or a typical 14. On an 8 pt you measure from center of G-3 to tip of beam and divide in half, mark center between the two and measure there. On a spike, measure beam and divide in half for 2nd mass measurement, then measure from 2nd mass mark to tip of beam and divide in half and that's you 3rd mass measurement, get your fourth from center point between 3rd mass measurement and tip of beam.....

I'd like to know what your spike scored, babyg! Lol

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

Arm,

I was just using a spike as an extreme example. Call me lucky, but I've never shot a spike. Although it could possibly happen if trying to shoot a doe at long range and can't tell its a buck. But I go to extremes to make sure I know what I'm shooting...

The funny part is a buddy of mine is rooting for me to screw up once and shoot a 1.5 year old spike or similar. He said he's sick of me shooting mature bucks every year that I'm not human. I just laugh it off.....

I'm quite curious what the largest scoring spike is though? Saw a 4 point in Iowa the first year I hunted there back in 97' that I'd had shot. He was at least 4 yrs old or older. Huge massive crab claws is all he had, but he prolly had 22" beams and 20" inside spread.... possible 4 pt world record?

With mass the measurement should be the smallest circ. On thebeam berween the burr and brow tine, g2 and 3 and so on.
I've killed bucks that could have gained as much as two inches in a mass measurement if it were largest circ. Between burr and brow tine..

Go to popeandyoung.com. They have detailed instructions on how to properly score your deer. They even have a spreadsheet (with instructions and diagrams) to write your measurements in.

Just a quick note: I know it doesn't mean anything but there was a previous discussion over the measurements of the bases of my deer. I first was measuring around the burrs with a measurement of almost 7 inches. My measure behind the burrs between burrs and browtines is 6''s. Just to set the record straight.

It's o.k. Kemosabe.. we all do $hit jacked up once in a while..

Baby-G,
Found this guy... Don't know what he scored, but looks like a possible record spike to me!!

imagejpg1_zpsac6f06fd.jpg

Pretty unusal spike, I gotta say, but he still is showing it quite bit away from him. It would be great to view the photo with him holding it closer to him to get a little bit more realistic reference of the deer.

Here you go guys:

scoring%20picture.gif

There are way more people that don't know how to score then are are people that do. I have talked to people that will add in measurement B and C to there score.

Top Bottom