Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Batting Cage bucks dead; Chanhassen MN

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Ok, so rarely do I share emails of bucks because 1/2 are fake stories or 1/2 are just not worth sharing.

This looks legit, the fwd msg has all the email addresses all the way back to the person that wrote the email.
Here it is. Enjoy:

Alright boys,

If I wasn't there, I would not have believed this. Last night I was
helping my neighbor Steve clear off the pond behind his house to make an
ice rink for the kids. Steve's house is up on a hill and behind his
house there is a wooded tree line before the pond. There is an old
batting cage at the bottom of the hill tucked next to the trees that has
netting to keep the balls in. A few days ago, Steve's wife told Steve
that there was a dead deer tangled in the netting. After clearing the
pond we went over to the cage to check it out. We found a massive
non-typical buck tangled in the net. Check out the curly drop tines in
the photo. As we were cutting this buck out, I was getting poked by
something in the deep snow. I reached down and grabbed the rack of
another huge 10-point buck that also became tangled in the netting and
died at the same time! I am guessing they had been there for a week or
so. They probably were walking along the trail together at night and
bumped into the black netting and panicked. I am sure they thrashed and
tried to run, but in doing so became even more locked in thus sealing
their fate. They were so entangled that it took 20 minutes each to cut
them free. The coyotes got the hindquarters of the typical 10-pointer
but both bucks are in good enough shape that Steve is going to have both
bucks mounted. I am guessing both of the bucks were 6-year olds and
probably 200+ pounds each - we dragged both of them 200 yards in
knee-deep snow. I will forward the pictures of the other buck once I get
them. Unbelievable!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

wow nice bucks to bad they had to die like that.... nice beer cooler in the first pic on the right top corner LOL

that guy should take down the batting cage.

Whatever.....

By that reasoning, I should take down my field fences in order to prevent a deer from accidentally getting hung in it.

Not that I don't think this is a sad event, just that $h!t happens no matter what.

I'm in agreement with taking it down. There's basically nothing we can do about regular fences in most cases. I think the batting cage/netting would be very negligent if it's in an area known to have lots of deer traveling through. Unnecessary death of 2 awesome whitetails.

Whatever.....

By that reasoning, I should take down my field fences in order to prevent a deer from accidentally getting hung in it.

Not that I don't think this is a sad event, just that $h!t happens no matter what.

Completely agree!

Soooooo, if a deer drowns in a guys pool he should have drained the water, if a deer runs into my front window, I should take the window out, if a deer gets his antlers caught in the rope on a kids playhouse you should get rid of the playhouse, if a deer breaks his neck fighting with someones statue in there front yard, they shouldn't have put out a lawn ornament, if a deer starves to death this winter, should we go out and shovel the fields for them, etc.... I think you get the hint. Point is, that deer die all the time from one thing or another. It was a freak accident and although unfortunate, is not the guys fault that had the damn batting cage in his yard. I bet if one of you guys would have stuck a broadhead in one of them it wouldn't have been unfortunate! The guy is getting them mounted and seemed pretty excited about finding them so what's the big deal. Besides, fish get netted all the time and you don't feel bad about that :D

Just sayin, let's be realistic about this, It's no more tragic than you hitting a deer with your car, but I don't think anyone would expect you to quit driving.

This would be an interesting court case on Judge Judy. I see both sides. U would have above argument and I would argue it's negligent and "asking for it". Just like a fisherman getting lazy with nets and killing dolphins.
What the fictitious court case would come down to was if u could show lots of deer traveling past there- high traffic area and I would argue that constitutes as negligent. It would be interesting to see this argued out. I see your point but would love to "investigate" and see if this is obvious negligence as I claim. I really do think this is 2 un-neccessary deaths of 2 awesome animals. Negligence! I'm filing papers to take u to Judge Judy or People's Court :).

Sorry for opening up a can of worms. I may have misread the original post, but when the OP said "old batting cage" I took from that as old and not being used anymore. I still stand that he should take it down if its not being used. If he still likes to take a pitch every now and then, move the cage up by the house where the deer aren't as likely to cross paths with it! :D

I guess having a batting cage in the woods just doesn't make much sense to me. If they get tangled up in the thing by the house, then its just a stupid deer. Getting tangled up a ways in the woods is just avoidable.

No reason to worry about the batting cage anyway, the bucks aready took it down. :D Too bad for them and it's strange that one would walk into the black netting in the white snow to begin with but two of them? I just hope he never had bait out trying to get sheds or something, not that I'm saying he did. Chit does happen.

Completely agree!

Soooooo, if a deer drowns in a guys pool he should have drained the water, if a deer runs into my front window, I should take the window out, if a deer gets his antlers caught in the rope on a kids playhouse you should get rid of the playhouse, if a deer breaks his neck fighting with someones statue in there front yard, they shouldn't have put out a lawn ornament, if a deer starves to death this winter, should we go out and shovel the fields for them, etc.... I think you get the hint. Point is, that deer die all the time from one thing or another. It was a freak accident and although unfortunate, is not the guys fault that had the damn batting cage in his yard. I bet if one of you guys would have stuck a broadhead in one of them it wouldn't have been unfortunate! The guy is getting them mounted and seemed pretty excited about finding them so what's the big deal. Besides, fish get netted all the time and you don't feel bad about that :D

Just sayin, let's be realistic about this, It's no more tragic than you hitting a deer with your car, but I don't think anyone would expect you to quit driving.

Completely agree. If it is a high traffic area for deer...they KNOW that cage has been there. They see it all the time. They wouldn't just one day decide to go over the net and pick a fight with it. Sh*t happens fellas. End of story

Top Bottom