Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Beans or corn. Which do they perfer

BigBassLJP

Just curious. What is your opinion on the two. Do deer perfer beans or corn. I have a buddy of mine who has a small farm in plymouth county that was planted to beans this year. I have alot of doe pics going to and from the beans, but I havent gotten a picture of a buck. I was out at the farm yesterday getting my ground blind set up for a youth hunt this weekend. While talking to him, I asked him if he would be willing to leave a quater acre of beans in when the harvest the field. I agreed to pay him what he would get if he harvested it. Gonna cost me a $125 bucks. DO the deer like the beans once they dry, or do they only eat the green leaves. Am I wasting my money. I cant help but think that this patch will be loaded with deer after the harvest since there wont be any other food source for miles. SO what do you think? Also, would it be a good idea to throw out some throw and grow now that the leaves are gone so I get some greenery there as well. Thanks for any input you can provide.

You are not wasting your money, deer love beens, esp late in the year. Only problem is that might not be enough to last until end of hunting season.

I dont think there is a ton of deer in the area, what do you think would be a good amount? I only wanted to leave a spot big enough to shot the entire strech with a bow. Should I opt for a half acre? I didnt want to drop 600 buck for a full acre which is about what an acre is worth with current bean prices.

You will probably be ok thru bow season, but I doubt any will be left for late season. Although that's dependant on deer density. Around here, I'd suggest 3 ac at minimum. Course, I'm planting it not buying standing crop.

We plant 10 acres a year and don't harvest a square foot of it. We don't have huge deer numbers, but the beans will be completely gone by Feb; of course we don't have the soil you guys have up there, so we're not talking 50-60 bushel/acre or better beans. We no-till wheat into the beans then harvest the wheat the next summer. So the deer have the choice of dried beans or wheat.

Top Bottom