Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bedding area depth

I am looking to create deer bedding in various spots on my property.
I am trying to figure out how much room I should leave for deer bedding on ridges from where the ridge starts to drop off. I was walking the Ridgeline today trying to locate deer beds in the snow and was trying to figure out is there a method to creating deer bedding on ridges? Do you leave like 4 to 5 feet of flat area from where the slope starts and hinge cut or run deer bedding right up to where the land starts to slope and hinge trees down the hill? I am also asking because I want to expand food plot areas and wanted to know how far I can expand the food plots towards the timber and ridges and still give the deer enough room to bed? Is there a strategy here that works well?

Without seeing what you have to work with i start buy putting switchgrass around plots or along the timber to make more secure around plots . Then " feather edge" along timber and hinge cut areas along edge of timber buy field edge to try to hold does closer to food . Save your ridge bedding for bucks if you have the distance/acreage? Hinge or drop trees parallel with ridge make pockets leave gaps like a giant pizza missing every other slice. Remove enough canopy to get decent sunlight to the ground on the ridge and make sure deer can move decent through the cuttings not too thick!! Again very hard to recommend anything without seeing your specific situation! Here is couple pics of some edge cutting on my new farm now in spring switchgrass will be drilled around plots and along edges of fields . Lots of knowledge on this site! Others can give there ideas as well!!!
fae817f8f45100b90d2d0bcf876877c8.jpg
2b48dc45664c6d3ec57ab5295d95050f.jpg
df27554798eb5509eb26fb96f6d844a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I am looking to create deer bedding in various spots on my property.
I am trying to figure out how much room I should leave for deer bedding on ridges from where the ridge starts to drop off. I was walking the Ridgeline today trying to locate deer beds in the snow and was trying to figure out is there a method to creating deer bedding on ridges? Do you leave like 4 to 5 feet of flat area from where the slope starts and hinge cut or run deer bedding right up to where the land starts to slope and hinge trees down the hill? I am also asking because I want to expand food plot areas and wanted to know how far I can expand the food plots towards the timber and ridges and still give the deer enough room to bed? Is there a strategy here that works well?
As far as ridges- all of the ones I have walked and paid attention, I would say they are all within 15 ft of the drop off. With a lot of beds right on the edge actually. BUT- those ridges are in a favored NW wind type area so the whole upper ridge is upwind of where they are bedded and they can look down and see everything downwind. Also- anything coming from downwind would be a heck of a battle to get to them unnoticed. So big picture- in my opinion- it depends on how drastic the terrain is. If it’s a larger ridge I think closer to the edge they bed so they can see. If it’s lower, they stay back a little for reaction time.

...now in spring switchgrass will be drilled around plots and along edges of fields . Lots of knowledge on this site! Others can give there ideas as well!!!

How big of a switch band are you planning on doing? Is any of it north facing?

I would think any north facing, timber touching edge of switch would struggle big time regardless of prep, variety etc. Genuinely wondering because I have been throwing around the idea with a north facing line, just dont know if it'd fill in to my liking

I am actually filling in a portion of the field but on a north facing pc i would go 50ft min to make sure you get a screen if the first 25ft doesn't grow well from lack of sun . But if you do not have good growth close to timber go back following yrs and spray close to timber edge with clethodim to promote forbs briars and brush to fill in between switchgrass and timber tops along edges.

i start buy putting switchgrass around plots or along the timber to make more secure around plots . Then " feather edge" along timber and hinge cut areas along edge of timber buy field edge to try to hold does closer to food .

This. Great technique.

I prefer about 15 - 20 yard buffer of switch or early successional growth along my plot edges. A slightly wider buffer has many advantages for small/upland game as well..

Bucks are extremely comfortable using in daylight, compared to a field that meets a hard timber edge. Big difference maker IMO.

This is my project to give you some ideas. Yellow will be switchgrass heavier around edges with lighter seeding filling in rest inside yellow. White will be habitat pockets in switch ,couple cedars , brush, tree tops , and forbes . The pics i first posted are in the fingers extending from south into switchgrass field. On East end 2 plots ,brown beans grean is green plot..
6f1be83ff5ed12803eb4539c9a2dcc6f.jpg

Top Bottom