Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Yep. All of those baseball players and Country music stars hunting at the Lakosky's would buy a place in a heartbeat if they could hunt every year.

i agree and disagree - in the peak of Pike county madness illinois land traded where 5k/acre? hunting ground? so if iowa went no draw and gave out tags, at some point the price should be equal- so 3500 acres maybe, thats #1, #2- country singers and athletes do get a tag every year- its called a governors tag, so....the big thing about iowa is that many residents that want to sell have already sold, for many people, no price they are gonna sell for, what your gonna have is farms that change hands between nr landowners, people that have bought for speculation. the day of knocking on doors and stealing a farm from a farmer are way gone

Iowa started offering 25 of the celebrity tags in 1998, and the program has continued to grow. The state now offers 75 of the special tags each year.
The celebrities -- mostly entertainers, athletes and outdoors television show hosts -- pay the same $551 fee that all nonresidents pay for the any-sex and antlerless tags. Iowa residents pay $89 for the same privileges.

Instructions 2010 Iowa Special Nonresident Deer Tags

The reason these tags are provided is to promote the state and its natural resources. Application must be made by August. 15

Recipients are primarily selected based on their ability to promote and how they will specifically promote the state and its natural resources. If a hunter has received one of these tags in the past, consideration for another tag will be given only when evidence is provided showing the ample promotion for the state from the previous tag.

Ability to promote is based on the potential size of the audience and the degree to which the hunter can assure the promotion will take place. Likely candidates include, but are not limited to: 1. Hosts, producers, videographers, celebrity guests of large audience TV shows and/or DVD productions 2. Established outdoor writers and authors with assured publication of their work 3. Recognized experts who present seminars, workshops, and websites for hunters 4. Persons of celebrity status who have the attention of regional or national news media

Specific promotion means a description of the promotion that the hunter will do. Those with the best promotions will score higher. On your application, explain which of the following important issues you will include in your articles/publications, DVD, TV shows or seminars. • Deer management in Iowa, based on county quota harvest of does • Safety while deer hunting including tree stands, blaze orange for gun hunters, be sure of your background and location of other hunters • Encouragement of new hunters and promotion of deer hunting; promotion of youth deer hunting • Show the Iowa DNR website, www.iowadnr.gov, and the state’s tourism website, www.traveliowa.com • Iowa’s deer donation program, HUSH, Help Us Stop Hunger • Iowa’s Turn In Poachers (TIP) program • The need to immediately apply the deer tag to the deer, according to regulations • Artificial feeding/mineralizing can put deer in jeopardy of disease transmission; baiting is illegal in Iowa

A recipient of this special deer tag can improve the opportunity for a future tag by providing additional communications/marketing services between the DNR and outdoor recreationalists.

Recipients are required to report, within 8 months of their hunt, how their experience was used to promote the state and its natural resources. Make written reports to the special license coordinator: Steve Dermand, steve.dermand@dnr.iowa.gov or mail to the letterhead address. Reporting by phone is unacceptable; however, questions may be made to Steve at 515-281-4515.

2010 Iowa Special Non-resident Deer Tag Request The primary purpose of these tags is to promote the state and its natural resources. By Aug. 15 email, fax or mail form to Steve Dermand, steve.dermand@dnr.iowa.gov, 515-281-6794, Iowa DNR, 502 E. 9th St. Des Moines, IA 50319. Phone: 515-281-4515 __________________________________________________________________________________ Hunter name address city/state/zip

__________________________________________________________________________________ Daytime phone email address

__________________________________________________________________________________ Deer-related business name, if any your position

__________________________________________________________________________________ Soc.sec.# date of birth height weight eye color hair color

_________________________ Hunter safety certification number (This is required ONLY if you wish to use your nonresident hunting license to hunt anything other than deer, and you were born after Jan. 1, 1972. You do not need this number for just deer hunting.)

__________________________________________________________________________________ Name address city/state/zip If different from address above, FULL ADDRESS WHERE LICENSE TO BE MAILED

__________________________________________________________________________________ Hunter sponsor (if any) name daytime phone email address

__________________________________________________________________________________ Which deer season area of hunt

• Provide evidence of your ability to promote (e.g. copies of published articles, TV programs or DVD’s you produced or appeared in, etc.) Please mail samples with this form; OR provide website address where you are featured. • All selected hunters agree to report back to Steve Dermand at the DNR within 8 months after your hunt on: how, where, and when you will carry out the Iowa promotion. Failure to report can result in future denial of these tags. • Do not provide money with this form. If selected, license payment must be provided 30 days prior to hunt day or license may be withdrawn. The actual deer license costs $426. Also required is a nonresident hunting license at $112 and habitat fee at $13. If you have hunted turkey in Iowa in the spring of 2010, you will only need to pay the $426.

In 75 words or less, describe below how you will specifically promote the state and its natural resources. Use space below, only. NO attachments are allowed to describe your promotion plans:

Program is a sham, a shame and a continued immense threat to this state. I absolutely believe this program has & will do more damage to iowa's deer hunting than any other single action that has or will take place except possibly moving the gun season into peak rut. Marketing genius yes.

Aside from voicing opinion on NR getting tags (which I will try and stay neutral with my posts BUT I do have many NR buddies who hunt here) - if I simply called a spade a spade - if we did allow yearly NR tags for landowners, yes, I don't think there's any debate.... The 5% of Iowa that is forested would be bought up within a few years completely by NR's and the price of land is something I could not even begin to speculate considering how little Iowa timber exists VS all the buyers in all areas of the country that would flock here. That's just reality.

what a joke- now back in the day when knight rifles was in centerville, i could see the state maybe trying to promote that company by bringing in celebrities to hype that product because that in turn helps keep Iowans working-- giving a tag to people so that they can film deer hunts for someone that is making money and spending that money in their home state is rediculous - helpong the drurys sell deer calls is not helping the state of iowa. Its just typical govt BS politics

funniest thing i ever heard - that is my point excatly- If that is true, because I dont know if you are being sarcastic, then that makes all the sense in the world. that would explain why those people can get away with murder without any ramifications

I was looking at the Drury Website and saw that Taylor Drury shot 2 bucks in 2012. One with a bow and one with a gun. Wasn't she a high school senior in Missouri at that time? Maybe her dad got her one of the celebrity tags.

I was looking at the Drury Website and saw that Taylor Drury shot 2 bucks in 2012. One with a bow and one with a gun. Wasn't she a high school senior in Missouri at that time? Maybe her dad got her one of the celebrity tags.

I don't know the answer myself...but were they both from Iowa? I believe the Drury's hunt both MO and IA.

I would be surprised if they weren't following the regs and then posted it on their site for all to see.

I don't know the answer myself...but were they both from Iowa? I believe the Drury's hunt both MO and IA.

I would be surprised if they weren't following the regs and then posted it on their site for all to see.

Mark and Terry are both huge contributors to the Iowa DNR. I'd say it's safe to say they are most likely bending but certainly not breaking any state game laws.

Not breaking because they contribute to the DNR??

How old are you? 15? Contribute as in help? As in do more for the state and our deer herd than any other "celebrity" hunter does. Say what you want about Mark and Terry Drury but these guys are class act professionals and care just as much about the herd and the DNR as you or I. There is no debating this, period!

29, and I know them thanks....only reason I commented because you said bending not breaking... the way it sounded to me was... they werent breaking it because they contributed... relax over there buddy

Last edited:
Mark and Terry are both huge contributors to the Iowa DNR. I'd say it's safe to say they are most likely bending but certainly not breaking any state game laws.

Contributors as in how? Are you talking about the Drury Outdoors/ Iowa DNR Roundtable?

Contributors as in how? Are you talking about the Drury Outdoors/ Iowa DNR Roundtable?

con·trib·ute (kn-trbyt)
v. con·trib·ut·ed, con·trib·ut·ing, con·trib·utes
v.tr.
1. To give or supply in common with others; give to a common fund or for a common purpose.
2. To submit for publication: contributed two stories to the summer issue.
v.intr.
1. To make a contribution: contributes to several charities.
2. To help bring about a result; act as a factor: Exercise contributes to better health.
3. To submit material for publication.

Probably to many too list since these boys have been around longer than some of us have been bow hunting. They were the first "hunting production" based group to publicly come out and put the Iowa DNR in front of "viewers" via the world wide web. They asked questions and got answers. They have also held there guns and kept the ball rolling in the same direction over their career span in term of QDMA and TSI. Drury outdoors holds fundraisers and puts on charity hunts for disabled servicemen and children. They have an active role in getting children involved with the sport. They are both class act guys and the couple cases I've had the privileged to speak with and ask questions they were more than willing to talk. In my opinion they are icons of our sport and have literally paved the road for many guys either in the industry or attempting to get into it. Love em or hate em I really don't care, I just know it's tough to argue against em with the things they've accomplished in their lives. I'm not trying to come off as a smarta$$ but it's hard to not see how they've contributed toward the world of whitetails!

Booner,

Too late you just came off as a "smart ass" to the person who started this website. The good thing for you is I am too old and too tired to go off on a tangent plus I am typing with my thumb.

I am simply asking if they are helping us Iowans?

When I sat on the Natural Resource Commission for the state of Iowa I understood our biologist inputed mattered. Not the Drurys. Having said this I opened my mind to the idea maybe they help. So, I watched part 1 - 9 and felt they did a good job and were fair.

My thumb is starting to ache, one more thing. I get input from a lot of resources and it would be easy for me to never visit this or any other forum. But guess what, I care more about the resource than I do about almost anything in my life. We all have the ability to make the world we live in a better or worse place. At 52 years old and having hunted for over 30 years I see a problem here in Iowa.

I am the only one on this board that I know of that can drive to the state capital tomorrow and have an intelligent conversation with the man in charge about this subject. I am also smart enough to play the game so we get what we want.

My question was to simply find the motive of the Drurys, simple as that...

I am the only one on this board that I know of that can drive to the state capital tomorrow and have an intelligent conversation with the man in charge about this subject.

Terry Branstad?

I followed the DNR Q&A session on Facebook today. Seems like Terry and the legislature have the last word. You can talk until you are blue in the face with members of the DNR and it won't amount to a hill of beans.

Last edited:
"do more for state and deer herd"

Booner, Specifically, what do the Drury brothers do for the state and the deer herd that the land owners in this lawsuit don't do? Just asking!

Top Bottom